This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

While living so close to campus, I often find myself having more “staycations” than actual vacations, especially as I procrastinate and stress over the semester. Most of the time I promise myself that I’m going to catch up on assignments, or even get ahead, but I end up finding ways to relax and enjoy the time I have to myself during this week-long break. One thing that has always relaxed my stressed-to-the-max self, is baking. While most students don’t have time to bake or they learn to cook before dabbling in sweet treats, I think it is still fundamentally important to know a few recipes for baked goods, especially during spring break. If anyone is like me at all, whether they’re staying at home or spending time with friends and family in some way, shape, or form, then they love to enjoy some kind of food-based around these events. I mean, social occasions are just ten times better when food is involved! For that reason, I want to share with you all of my favorite and most comforting sweet treats that pair well with any spring break events you could be having. They are sweets, so they can literally go with anything!

#1 Banana Bread

First I want to delve into the staple dish of sweet treats. It is most commonly the one thing that everyone who doesn’t bake knows how to bake. Banana Bread is so simple yet so fun because you can literally throw anything into the mix. Chocolate chips, pecans, walnuts, coconut, peanut butter; anything you can think of you can do with this recipe. One of my favorite aspects of this recipe is how simple and easy it is to make. The only downside is the 45-60 minute cook time, but the fact that this entire dish can be made in one bowl just seals the deal for me. The meal is also perfect for sharing and enjoying as a sweet and savory treat throughout the day. The banana just transforms the concept of bread into so much more with this dish and is perfect with any brunch event!

#2 Chocolate Chip Cookies:

Next up, for some simple, yet top-tier, treats is the Chocolate Chip Cookie. When these cookies are cooked perfectly and fresh out of the oven they make any long day better, and every movie more immersive, especially with a small glass of milk. Sometimes, when I’m on vacation, I get nostalgic and crave a nice warm homemade treat, to make my day a little brighter. Fresh out of the oven Choco. Chip Cookies are one of the best ways to fill my comfort and build onto the joy of spring break and (get this) you can also add in any unique mixes you would like, like chocolate bar pieces or oatmeal. Anything can spice this recipe up for all occasions during spring break. 

#3 Brownie Batter Dip

Now, this next recipe is honestly not known by many, and I only found out about this phenomenal treat through Pinterest. Through my deep dive, I came across Brownie Batter Dip! Anyone who is a fan of brownies is going to love this chocolatey and savory dish. The best part about it is the fact that it is completely refreshing, especially when served with strawberries! You can literally dip anything into this dip and it will be 10x better after. A few of my favorite dippers include pretzels, graham crackers, strawberries, and bananas. It’s a perfect balance of snacks with sweets. It’s also completely shareable and I usually take this dish to my place of work. Any tension that was formed from a long day of work is completely dismissed when this dip goes around. This dish also takes minimum time to complete so it’s a quick and easy process that will get you ready for any potluck or event that’s planned over break. It’s also perfect to have by the pool probably next to any ranch dip that is also a staple during snack days. 

#4 Fruit Pizza:

Last, but certainly not least, is one of my nostalgic childhood treats, Fruit Pizza. This lovely treat is something my Mimi used to whip up and I always was amazed by its quality. When I found out the dessert was actually a sugar cookie crust with a few toppings on top, I fell in love with its simplicity. It’s not only simple and sweet, but it’s also refreshing and can be made any way you want it. You can top off your slices as you go, so any haters of kiwis can always find other toppings to go with it. It’s shareable, affordable, and an easy treat to make, especially if you’re away from home. 

Those are four of my favorite comfort treats. I usually make these year-round and always plan on sharing, but most of the time I start to bake during spring break when I have time to enjoy it. These small simple joys help me to feel more comfortable when away and work to elevate any stay-cation I have. I hope you all enjoy these recipes and find out for yourself what makes each one so unique and wonderful!

Peyton Barrett

Coastal Carolina '23

Peyton is an English major with a minor in Pre-law. Her hobbies include reading, gushing over her many pets (2 dogs and 4 cats), and baking. Her goal is to become a high school English teacher. Her focus is to share her love for reading and writing in any way that she can.