This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Autumn is finally around the corner, and it is begging us to break out our trendiest sweater, funky florals to preppy plaids. I am here to present to you all my favorite trends of this upcoming Fall season.

Summertime is abloom with endless sun-filled days spent cooling off poolside with fresh lemonade. School is finally out, and all of your friends are back home for a couple of months. All you have to worry about is picking out what oversized tee shirt to wear for the day and making sure you have remembered to re-apply your SPF 70 sunscreen. What could possibly go wrong? I get it. Summer has a magical feeling. However, I refuse to believe that I am the only one who feels smothered by the sweltering heat and summer traffic. Year after year, I keep telling myself that MAYBE this will be a summer I finally wholeheartedly enjoy…maybe? Yet, year after year, I find myself curled up in my air-conditioned room reminiscing about pumpkin spice lattes and sweaters. I know it seems wrong but it just feels so right.

Here in Myrtle Beach, the weather is still in the high 80-90’s so I guess you could say I am jumping aboard this train a little early. Although I argue that since Home Goods already has their Thanksgiving and Halloween aisles in stock, it is officially Fall in my mind, despite being able to fry an egg outside on my driveway right now.

One of my top favorite parts of Fall is being able to finally wear cute boots and jackets again. Fall allows us to be more creative in our outfits by granting us the ability to layer different clothing pieces on top of each other.

Even if you are not super into trends, I think it is still important to know about them because it explains why items in stores start randomly popping up. For instance, the Pantone Color of the Year is classic blue, which shows why all of the sudden different shades of blue are popping up in retail everywhere. Here are a few of my favorite looks below.

Zara Cashmere Sweater

Moon-Lover Mini Dress

TIE-DYE KNIT SAFETY PIN SWEATER

Another trend that I am currently loving right now is collared shirts. Just by adding a collared shirt underneath your sweater instantly makes any outfit look much more put together and also makes it look like you tried a lot harder than you actually did (lazy girl hack.) Personally, I threw on an old white collared shirt I used to wear when I had to wear a school uniform underneath an oversized black crew neck. Sweater vests are another cute item to throw over top of your collared shirt. I have seen some people layer different pattern collared shirts such as zebra or statement colors under plain crew necks or sweater vests. I think by doing this it really takes the look to a whole new level by taking it from school uniform to funky preppy and I am loving it. Finding a collared shirt will not break your budget either. You can find them at a thrift store in either the Men’s or Women’s section for as cheap as 99 cents. I prefer mine to be oversized. Here is one of my favorite looks below.

Champion Crew Neck

As I mentioned above, sweater vests are back in style. Once again, a sweater vest is so easy to find at a thrift store. Depop and Poshmark are other good places to buy these from. I have seen so many variations of people wearing this look. One way to style this is by pairing a plain white t-shirt underneath the sweater vest to dress it down a bit. Another favorite look of mine is pairing this top with a schoolgirl skirt. I have even seen this look worn with baggy sweatpants to dress it down even more. A tip I can lend to you is if you do not like the oversized, baggy look, shop from the women’s section of thrift stores, and crop a sweater vest from there to wear with jeans. Here is one of my favorite looks below.

ASOS Cream Colored Sweater Vest 

Next up, is a trend I have been loving for quite a while now, which is leather blazers and jackets. I bought my favorite leather jacket last year online for full price, but I am sure you can find something cheaper at your local thrift store. I prefer my leather jacket to be oversized because it makes it easy to layer other clothing pieces such as hoodies, thick sweaters, or crewnecks underneath. These jackets look super cute with jeans, or even if it is long enough buttoned up with some tights and shorts and a collared buttoned-up shirt. There are so many ways to wear this jacket. If there is one thing out of what I have mentioned so far that you should add to your wardrobe, it is definitely this! Here are some of my favorite looks below.

Free People Oversized Vegan Leather Jacket 

ASOS Oversized Leather Jacket

Lastly, another trend I have been seeing around for a few years now is the loafers/oxfords trend. I bought my favorite pair of black loafers from Free People in 2018. Since then, I have seen so many more pairs circulate around the internet. These cute, classic shoes can be styled with jeans, socks, and dresses. Here are some of my favorite looks below.

Dr.Martins Smooth Leather Platform Shoes

Dr.Martins AdrianTassle

Thank you so much for reading. I hope you have found some inspiration for YOUR personal Fall fashion show. Cheerio Pumpkins!

Kele Bullock

Coastal Carolina '22

Kele is a 20 year old junior in college. She is an English major with a minor in Digital Media and Culture. Some of her favorite hobbies are writing, reading, photography, fashion, and styling. She hopes to reach like minded people through her journey in writing, and hopefully help others stories be heard one day as well! Please feel free to reach out to her. :)
Sarah McGonigle

Coastal Carolina '22

Sarah is a Political Science major, and she minors in both English and Women's & Gender Studies at Coastal Carolina University. She serves as the President and Correspondent of the Coastal Carolina chapter of Her Campus. Sarah loves listening to music, reading, and attempting to replicate Carrie Bradshaw's style. She finds advocating for social, environmental, and political issues to be an important aspect of her life.