This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Ahhhhh fall time. The leaves are falling and the air is as crisp as can be. Pumpkin spice, scented candles, and apple pie are what you think of right? 

One of the biggest indicators that fall time has begun is when Starbucks releases their infamous pumpkin spice latte. In my world, it never gets old and it seems like the public can agree with me on that one. All across every social media platform, there are posts about the release of the pumpkin spice latte. It is crazy how a company has built so much hype around one drink. From ads to billboards it seems like you can’t escape it. In 2019, 424 million pumpkin spice lattes were sold worldwide. That is more lattes than the United States population! Although Starbucks has been known for their pumpkin spice, will Dunkin take over with their PSL?

For starters, the price difference is pretty great. Especially if you are a person who gets a PSL almost every day during this season, you could be saving a lot of money. A grande Starbucks PSL is $5.25, while a medium Dunkin PSL is only $3.59. This means that you could be saving $11.62 a week on your daily PSL! (That is almost $50 in a month, if you get it that often.) In addition, Dunkin sizes are a little bigger than Starbucks anyway. Now, you are probably saying that the money sounds great and all, but what about the taste? 

Even to begin with, I have always liked Dunkin’s coffee better than Starbucks. Starbucks coffee, in my opinion, is just too strong. I usually prefer their frappuccinos and refreshers over their iced or hot coffee. Although, I kept in mind that I’m not reviewing solely coffee, but I am reviewing the PSL. The only fair way to compare the two would be to get them both, sit down, and let my taste buds do the work. I went to Dunkin and ordered their version of a PSL, and then I went to Starbucks and got their infamous PSL. I took a sip of my latte from Dunkin and then I took a sip of the familiar taste of Starbucks’s latte. To be completely honest, I think Starbucks still remains the king of PSLs. To me, the Starbucks latte had more flavor, and the coffee tasted better in it, despite my preference of Dunkin coffee that I usually have. Sorry Dunkin, you’re still a winner for my morning iced coffee, but not so much on that PSL.

Even though Starbucks won this time, Dunkin could still redeem themselves with their other drinks. They have a host of other fall drinks that are cheaper than any of Starbuck’s fall drinks. Their pumpkin cream cold brew, pumpkin chai latte, and pumpkin iced coffee all sound delicious. In a size medium, none of these are above $5! Although, keep in mind that this review was my opinion, Do not let me be the sole judge of all of these drinks. Take advantage of this great season and go out and try these two PSLs for yourself!

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.