This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Halloween is at the end of the month and as we are all penny-pinching college students, I figured I would give a few suggestions of creative DIY Halloween costumes to make the holiday a little cheaper.

• An Amazon Box
    • This could even be a cute duo costume for friends or couples. So everyone saw the Amazon commercial for the holidays last year where the boxes moved and talked and sang. This costume is a spin on that. All you need is a tan or brown shirt and black paint. Make sure that the shirt color is light enough for the black paint to show up and then you are set. What you are going to do is mimic the Amazon logo in black paint about halfway up the shirt. You don’t want it too high up because then it might look strange, but you also don’t want it too low for the same reason. 
  • A Recycling Bin
    • This could also be the recycling man/woman. What you will want to do is save plastic bottles, balled up paper, cans, and any other item that should be recycled and hot glue or using fabric glue, paste these items to a t-shirt. You might want some help when it comes to putting the shirt on but overall it is a pretty easy costume idea. 
  • Netflix and Chill
    • This is kinda basic and similar to the Amazon box costume. You are going to take a black shirt and either paint a red “N” on it or cut out a red piece of felt or fabric and sew on the “N” onto the front of the shirt in the center. Before you leave your house pop some popcorn and glue the popped popcorn bag to your shirt. Bonus points if you buy a bag of popcorn from the store and refill your shirts popcorn bag all night. 
  • Twister
    • This is perfect if you have enough patience to cut out multiple different colored circles. What you will do is cut out circles of construction paper or felt in blue, yellow, red, and green. After they are cut out, arrange them in even rows on your shirt and pants. If you have a twister game laying around, you can take a hole puncher and punch a hole in each side of the spinner and take an elastic or yarn so that way you can tie the spinner to your head as a hat. 
  • Cereal Killer
    • This is the easiest and laziest of costumes. Honestly might end up dressing up like this for Halloween this year. A cereal killer costume consists of you and your favorite type of cereal. Just eat your favorite type of cereal, if someone asks what your costume is, tells them you’re a cereal killer ;) 

Michelle Boyette

Coastal Carolina '22

Michelle is a student studying public health, psychology, and creative writing. She is hoping that through her writing she will spark joy and change in a world that is desperately in need of both.