Wellness > Mental Health

Coastal Carolina’s 5th Annual Out of the Darkness Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

At 11 am, on March 23, 2019, Coastal Carolina University held its fifth annual Out of the Darkness Walk at Spadoni Park Circle on campus. Sponsored by the LiveWell Office, Shore Peer Educators, and CCU Counseling Services, the walk strived to support survivors of suicide and those who have lost their loved ones through suicide. The walk also aimed to help spread awareness of emotional health and suicide, as well as support anyone who is struggling with issues like such.

There were 13 teams registered for the walk. Some of these teams were SHORE Peer Educators, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, CCU Veterans Association, Phi Sigma Delta, Phi Sigma Sigma, and many more.

Before the walk began, there was an Honor Bead Ceremony. Participants received colored beads that each represented a different experience that one might have with depression and suicide.

After the walk, the event finished with a closing ceremony where several students who have had experiences with depression and suicide told their stories.

The event was a success, allowing the university to spread awareness to the student body about various resources such as counseling sessions and nutrition consultants, while also raising money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. The event raised a total of 11,00 dollars.

Olivia Burke

Coastal Carolina '19

Olivia Burke is a college student, freelance writer, and campus correspondent at Coastal Carolina University. She has written about everything from Valentine's Day to political candidates. When she isn't studying or working on a new article, she is either eating fresh hibachi or catching up on This Is Us on Hulu.