This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Podcasts are like modern-day radio shows about everything and anything, and thanks to easy-access streaming services, anyone can listen anytime. From comedy to business and finances – there’s a podcast for everyone. If you’re a college student looking for some fun and fresh podcasts, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 5 podcasts to listen to as you go about your day.

1.     The Daily by The New York Times 

If you’re a news buff interested in all things current events, check out The Daily by The New York Times. You get five, 25-minute episodes per week hosted by journalist Michael Barbaro, and each episode includes the perfect dose of news and pop culture to keep you up to date with what’s happening in the world. The Daily will fill you in on both national and international news. Some episodes discuss the 2020 Presidential candidates, while others analyze Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s departure from the royal family. The Daily is perfect for college students because the episodes are short, simple and to the point. It’s easy to listen to during your morning commute or as you’re hiking across campus to get to class. The New York Times offers this podcast for free on their website or their mobile app.

2.     Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

You probably know TV personality Jonathan Van Ness from Netflix’s Queer Eye, and you’ve probably fallen in love with his confidence and lucious hair. Van Ness’ weekly podcast will make you love him even more – if that’s even possible. Each episode has a different, unique topic and features guest experts who answer all of Van Ness’ questions. The episodes range from 45 minutes to an hour, each diving deep into understanding social injustices, climate change, science and more. Getting Curious discusses real-world questions and issues in a fun, but educational way. You’re bound to find an episode that suits your interests and needs.

3.     Office Ladies

Who isn’t a fan of NBC’s sitcom, The Office? Well, Office Ladies is the perfect podcast for all you mega-fans. Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey, Pam and Angela in the show, host this weekly podcast in which they re-watch every episode of The Office and give you all the behind-the-scenes secrets. Each 50-minute podcast episode corresponds with one episode of The Office and gives us fans a taste of what it was like filming the beloved show. With exclusive stories and special guests, Fischer and Kinsey never fail to keep their audience’s attention. If you’re a college student binging The Office for the hundredth time, try binging Office Ladies for a change.

4.     Zane and Heath: Unfiltered

If you love YouTube’s famous friend group, the Vlog Squad, you’ll love the podcast hosted by members Zane Hijazi and Heath Hussar. The duo recently started their Unfiltered podcast alongside fellow squad members, Mariah Amato and Matt King. Together, the friends share jaw-dropping anecdotes about literally everything. From talking about who’s crushing on who to debunking the world’s craziest conspiracy theories, Hijazi and Hussar bring comedy and entertainment podcasts to a whole new level. Episodes are also posted on YouTube for those who prefer watching the podcast instead of just listening to it. With new, hour-long episodes every Monday, Zane and Heath: Unfiltered is a great way to start your week and escape reality.

5.     Nothing Much Happens: bedtime stories to help you sleep

To most of us, college means pulling all-nighters to finish assignments and bragging about the lack of sleep we got the night before. We chug iced coffee on the daily in hopes it will help our eyes stay open during class. Instead of being in a constant haze of sleep deprivation, take some time to listen to Kathryn Nicolai’s bedtime stories for adults. Each episode is only a half-hour, and they are told by Nicolai herself in the most soothing voice you will ever hear. Nicolai also writes every bedtime story featured on the podcast, and she reads the stories twice to completely engulf you in a world of relaxation. Similar to guided meditation, Nothing Much Happens helps you wind down and fall asleep, so you can be well-rested for the busy day ahead of you.

All of these podcasts can be found on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and iHeartRadio. Happy listening!

Angelica Pizza

Coastal Carolina '21

Angelica is a student at Coastal Carolina University studying communication, journalism and women's and gender studies. She has a passion for writing and hopes to pursue a career as a writer or editor for a magazine.