This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

One thing that I love about Winter Break from college is all of the cozy reading I get to do. As an English major, I definitely enjoy curling up with a good book. Especially when the weather is cold and I have a hot cup of coffee next to me as I cuddle up on my bed or couch. One of my favorite types of books to read are Christmas anthologies, so I can just sit and read through a whole short story at a time from start to finish. I enjoy a full novel, as well, though. 

I am not usually the type of person to read cheesy stories or cliches but around the holidays, that completely changes. I like to give myself a break from all of the heavy realities of life and daily stress while finding comfort in a predictable and joy-filled story. This need is probably even more relevant in 2020 than it ever has been before. Check out this list of books that you should read this holiday season (that I’ll probably be reading, as well). Some of them I’ve read before and others are on my to be read list but I think you’ll love them all. 

1) Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Let it Snow is a three story anthology. With a story from John Green, one from Maureen Johnson, and one from Lauren Myracle—this is a must read. I have read this book every holiday season for as long as I can remember. I am a huge John Green fan, though, so it makes sense. I have read everything that John Green has written but this is the only story I read on repeat. This anthology discusses a small town as it undergoes an intense snowstorm and it tells three different stories within this setting. The three stories find a way to blend together by introducing some characters from multiple points of view and traveling to the same places. 

Let it Snow has a 3.76/5 star review on Goodreads and a 5.0 star review in my mind.

2) My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins

My True Love Gave to Me is an anthology with SO MANY great authors, edited by Stephanie Perkins. I have only recently discovered this gem but read a few short stories out of it within the past couple of holiday seasons. This anthology has something for everyone in it and although I have not read all of its offerings yet, I have been enjoying those that I have found.

My True Love Gave to Me has a 3.69/5 star review on Goodreads and has also earned a 5/5 star review in my mind. 

3) Dash & Lily Series by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

There are three books in the Dash & Lily Series: Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, The 12 Days of Dash & Lily, and Mind the Gap. Although I have not read this series yet, it is on my TBR pile for the future. I think it sounds great, though I may be biased because Lily is a pretty cool name… This series begins with Lily leaving a red notebook full of dares in a bookstore for a stranger to find. Dash and Lily then begin an epic tradeoff game with the red notebook as they fulfill and create new dares in New York. The following two books follow up on their relationship going forward. This is definitely something I hope to make time for this holiday season. (P.S. There’s also a Netflix show coming up about this series!)

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares has a 3.78/5 star review on Goodreads, The 12 Days of Dash & Lily has a 3.47/5 star review on Goodreads, and Mind the Gap has a 4.0/5.0 star review on Goodreads.

4) A Kiss for Christmas by Melody Grace

A Kiss for Christmas by Melody Grace is another anthology that I have never read but it is on my to be read list for this holiday season, as well. This anthology is all written by the same author and has three short stories in it. These short stories are all set in holiday settings and are romance stories about 3 different heterosexual couples. 

A Kiss for Christmas has a 3.7/5 star review on Goodreads. At the time that I got this book, it was free on Amazon Kindle which made it even better! I can’t wait to read this anthology!

I hope that you enjoy your holiday reads this season as much as I always enjoy mine! If you choose to read any of these stories, put a review on your Instagram story and tag me @lilyabryant to let me know what you’re reading! Make sure to tell me which story is your favorite at the moment so I can be sure to read it this holiday season.

Lily Bryant

Coastal Carolina '21

Lily Bryant is an English major at Coastal Carolina University with minors in Women's and Gender Studies and Marketing. In her free time she loves to read, write, sing, and do pretty much anything artsy. Her goals in life are to inspire others, create good change, and be a successful author. View her work here at Her Campus or on her personal blog at lilyabryant.com.