This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Election day is around the corner! We as Americans need to make sure we are registered to vote and have applied for an absentee ballot if we prefer mail-in voting. The 2020 Election is not only highly anticipated but is also part of the reason for the circulation of misinformation.

Voting requires you to get educated about the current state of government, both on a national level and a local level. It’s also important to know about your own needs as a citizen of the United States of America. You should know where each candidate stands on certain policies and social issues. Additionally, you should get a better understanding about how each candidate’s policies can affect you, your loved ones, and every other American citizen.

In recent years, the fake news phenomena has become a major communication issue within both news media and social media. Most of us are reading sensationalized headlines or are getting our information from friends on Facebook. While connecting with others on the internet is a great way to spread information, it can also be damaging. To debunk rumors that circulate on our Twitter and Facebook feeds, check out these fact-checking websites.

1. Snopes.com

Founded in 1994 by David Mikkelson, Snopes began as a website that investigated and debunked urban legends. It has become one of the largest fact-checking websites to date, using a reputable editorial team packed with writers, researchers, and editors who are passionate about accurate journalism. Snopes promises transparency and non-partisan sources and information. This website does not only focus on politics. It also debunks rumors about whether a UFO was spotted over New Jersey or if Netflix’s CEO was recently arrested.

2. FactCheck.org

FactCheck is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that aims to provide voters with the most accurate information “to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics.” The editorial team at FactCheck monitors the accuracy of what political figures say to the public, and they evenly divide their coverage between both Democrats and Republicans. FactCheck also has partners with Facebook to prevent false information from spreading through the social media platform. FactCheck can help you understand Joe Biden’s claims at the CNN Town Hall, and it can help you determine fact-check Donald Trump’s promise that a COVID-19 vaccine will be made available to the public by the end of the year.

3. PolitiFact.com

PolitiFact is predominantly politics-based and organizes news stories by state, by issue, or by person. This website was founded in 2007, and its main goal was to fact-check statements made by politicians. The journalists at PolitiFact are independent and prioritize leaving their own opinions out of news stories to provide you with the most accurate information possible. It also uses a Truth-O-Meter “to reflect the relative accuracy of a statement.” The Truth-O-Meter has six levels: true, mostly true, half true, mostly false, false, and pants on fire. Check out PolitiFact to debunk viral images and Facebook posts such as the false claim that payments to AARP go directly to the Democratic Party.

The most important thing you can do right now as an American is get the facts. With these fact-checking websites, you won’t need to worry about if the information you are receiving leans to one side or the other on the political spectrum. All of the information on these sites is unbiased, transparent, and accurate, which are all features of good and ethical journalism.

Angelica Pizza

Coastal Carolina '21

Angelica is a student at Coastal Carolina University studying communication, journalism and women's and gender studies. She has a passion for writing and hopes to pursue a career as a writer or editor for a magazine.