Why My Black is Beautiful: CNU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, we wanted to write an article to highlight the beauty of the African American culture right here on CNU’s campus. We decided to ask a variety of students and staff members – who identify as “black” – why their black is beautiful. Along with a quote from each individual, we asked them to send us pictures of themselves that really represent them and how they want to be portrayed. Note that some opted not to send pictures. We had a really great time interviewing individuals for this article and we hope that it is an inspiration to all that read!

Briana Bouldin: Sophomore

“My black is beautiful because it’s not copied, fabricated, synthetic, or for you! It’s my own and I own it with every kink, curl, curve, and reply. Whoever doesn’t like it cannot appreciate an original – the end.”

Colleen Yates: Junior

“My black is beautiful because I know myself and I don’t need confirmation from others about whether or not I’m beautiful. I have faith in my abilities and I love my self-confidence.”

Marckel Bonds: Freshman

“My black is beautiful because my black is strong and solid. My black is often imitated but concurrently shunned upon. I guess that makes my black ironic, but thankfully black don’t crack.”

Monica Jones: Sophomore

“Skin doesn’t define my beauty, but it doesn’t limit it either. I am that I am (Exodus 3:14), and I love who I am.”

Tamiya Davis: Freshman

“I am not my hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.” – India Arie

Anonymous: Junior

“My black is beautiful because of my values. I incorporate the values I have regarding my race into my everyday life, so it’s hard to put this in words.”

Scottie Scott: Sophomore

“My philosophy is, ‘It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything, and it makes life so much easier.’ – Anthony Hopkins”

Aisha Bent Abdul-Raqib: Regatta’s Staff

“Because we are creative people. We are descendants of the Jewish Israelites. I embrace my blackness.”

Ms. Linda: Regatta’s Staff

“Black is beautiful because it stands for being bold, proud, and standing on the shoulders of the ones that came before us. It represents strength, integrity, and spirituality. I am proud to be a recipient of those who came before us and proud to pave the way for those coming behind.”

Anika Trent: Senior

“My black is beautiful because it makes me who I am. It helps me to be the best and only version of me!”

Peter Radcliff III: Freshman

“My black is beautiful because I wouldn’t be the goofy, original, and unique person I am today without it.”

Ekoué “Lewis” Folli: Sophomore

“My black is beautiful because the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice, and my juice is really sweet.”

Jazmine Joyner and Carolyn Miller: Freshmen

“Our black is beautiful because we are children of God, and everything that God creates is ‘fearfully and wonderfully made’ (Psalm 139:14).” 

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife