freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Monica and Chandler are Relationship Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Okay, so unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past twenty-three years, chances are you know Friends. I’m sure I don’t need to remind everyone that it’s only the best show ever (this is more than just an opinion–it’s a fact).

The Friends cast has seen more than their fair share of relationships. Remember Rachel and Tag? Ross and Julie? Joey and Janine? The best Friends couple, though, is Monica and Chandler.

“Why?” you may ask. Let me count the ways:

1. Remember in “The One with the Flashback,” where Chandler consoles Monica after she asks why she doesn’t have a boyfriend?

Chandler: “You are one of my favorite people, and the most beautiful woman I’ve ever known in real life”

2. Or in “The One with Ross’s Wedding: Part 2,” when Monica and Chandler have that cute moment at Ross’s wedding rehearsal right before they sleep together

Monica: “My mother’s right. I’m never gonna get married” Chandler: “You know what is…who wouldn’t want you?”

3. In “The One Hundredth,” Chandler asks Monica to exclusively see him in the cutest way.

Chandler: “You know what, I don’t ever know if you’ve looked up the term ‘goofing around’ in the dictionary. Well, I have, and the technical definition is two friends who care a lot about each other and have amazing sex and just wanna spend more time together. But if you have this new-fangled dictionary that gets you mad at me then we have to get you my original dictionary”

4. When Chandler tells Monica he loves her for the first time in “The One with All the Thanksgivings.”

Chandler: “You are so great I love you” Monica: “What?” Chandler: “Nothing! I said you’re so great and then I just, I just stopped talking!”

5. In “The One Where Everybody Finds Out,” Chandler professes his love to Monica in front of Phoebe, Rachel, and Joey.

Chandler: “I can’t have sex with you!” Phoebe: “And why not?” Chandler: “Because I’m in love with Monica!” Phoebe: “You’re what?” Chandler: “Love her! That’s right! I love her! I! Love! Her! I love you Monica.” Monica: “I love you too, Chandler” :’)

6. That time Chandler blabbered about Monica being her own independent self in “The One with Ross’s Denial.”

Chandler: “Now I have you. Not that I think that I have you or think of you as property in any sort of way.”

7. In “The One that Could Have Been: Part 2,” Chandler and Monica still end up together even though she’s chubby and he’s weird.

Chandler: “I know you probably don’t want to go out with me because I make too many jokes and I’ve never been in a serious relationship and I guess I’m not technically a doctor” *Monica runs and kisses him*

8. That moment when Monica surprise proposes to Chandler after he was trying to surprise propose to her in  “The One With the Proposal: Part 2”

Monica: “You wanted it to be a surprise… Chandler, in all my life, I never thought I would be so lucky as to fall in love with my best…my best…my best…there’s a reason why girls don’t do this!”

9. And then Chandler finished her proposal.

Chandler: “You make me happier than I ever thought I could be, and if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.”

10. “The One With Chandler and Monica’s Wedding: Part 2,” Monica’s vows to Chandler.

Monica: “Chandler, for so long I wondered if I would ever find my prince, my soulmate. Then, three years ago at another wedding, I turned to a friend for comfort, and instead, I found everything that I’d ever been looking for my whole life. And now, here we are, with our future before us, and I only wanna spend it with you: my prince, my soulmate, my friend.”

11. Chandler’s vows.

Chandler: “Monica, I thought this was going to be the most difficult thing I ever had to do, but when I saw you walking down that aisle I realized how simple it was. I love you. Any surprises that come our way, it’s okay, because I will always love you. You are the person I was meant to spend the rest of my life with.”

12. In “The One With the Stripper,” Monica hires a stripper for Chandler to make up for not giving him a Bachelor Party.

“I got this number from this guy at work and I hired a stripper to come dance for you. Am I going in the wife hall of fame or what?!”

13. Or in “The One With the Fertility Test,” when they find out that Monica has an ‘inhospitable environment’ and Chandler’s sperm have low motility.

Chandler: “It means that we can keep trying, but there’s a good chance this may never happen for us.” Monica: “Oh my god.” Chandler: “We’re gonna figure this out.” Monica: “I know.”

14. When Monica says she doesn’t want to have a kid with another man in “The One with the Donor.”

Monica: “I just realized I don’t care if he is the most perfect guy in the world. He’s not you…If I can’t get pregnant with you, then I don’t want to get pregnant by him or anyone else.”

15. And, saving the best for last, in “The One with the Birth Mother,” Chandler tells Erica why Monica would make the perfect mother.

Chandler: “My wife’s an incredible woman. She is loving, and devoted, and caring, and don’t tell her I said this, but the woman’s always right! I love my wife more than anything in this world. And it kills me that I can’t give her a baby. I really want a kid. And when that day finally comes I’ll learn how to be a good dad. But, my wife, she’s already there. She’s a mother without a baby.”

Goals, you guys. Goals.

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.