matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Why Camp Kesem is Awesome and Should Come to Christopher Newport University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

At any age, cancer is scary, confusing, uncertain and tests even the strongest of us. Imagine being a child and witnessing your mom or dad fight for their life every day. There are many resources available for cancer patients, but not for their families. Children especially need support too during such a dificult time. Fortunately, I found that support system and a second family through Camp Kesem. I was a camper this past summer and it had such a significant impact on my life. My dad had battled cancer for 2 years. When I went to camp, I felt so much less alone and made some truly special friendships. That is the power of Camp Kesem. It brings people together.

Photo Courtesy of Camp Kesem

This organization has over 120 summer camps throughout the United States, each run by some of the kindest, most passionate and energetic college students you will ever meet, and is expanding each year. Christopher Newport University is a finalist in a national voting campaign to start a Camp Kesem chapter. Cancer affects many families in the Newport News community and starting a chapter here would have a profound impact on these children by making them feel less alone and allowing them to just be kids for a few days. The only way to make this possible is with YOUR vote! From January 27th- the 31st, make sure to vote once a day at vote.kesem.org! Together, we can bring this AMAZING organization to campus!

@chapterexpansionatcnu on Facebook and Instagram. Text kesem to 31996 to be reminded about voting and have the link sent right to your phone! 

Graciela is a communications major who is passionate about music, theatre, and giving back to the community. She joined the Her Campus writing team in 2019 and enjoys being a part of such a great organization!