Unwrapping Joy: The Most Underrated Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to embrace the festive spirit than by cozying up with a cup of cocoa and a heartwarming Christmas movie? While classics like “Home Alone” and “It’s a Wonderful Life” are beloved staples, there’s a treasure trove of underrated gems that deserve a spot in your holiday movie marathon. Let’s unwrap the joy of the most underrated Christmas movies that are sure to add a sprinkle of magic to your yuletide celebrations.

1. “Arthur Christmas” (2011)

Move over, traditional sleighs and reindeer—enter “Arthur Christmas,” a modern animated gem that sheds light on Santa’s high-tech operation at the North Pole. This Aardman Animations creation introduces us to the clumsy but endearing Arthur, Santa’s youngest son, who embarks on a mission to deliver a misplaced present on Christmas Eve.

With a blend of humor, heart, and cutting-edge technology, “Arthur Christmas” is a delightful ride for both kids and adults. It explores the importance of the Christmas spirit in a rapidly changing world, making it a truly underrated holiday delight.

2. “The Muppet Christmas Carol” (1992)

In the realm of Christmas classics, “The Muppet Christmas Carol” often stands in the shadows of more traditional adaptations of Charles Dickens’ timeless tale. However, this Muppet-infused version adds a whimsical and musical twist to the classic story of Ebenezer Scrooge’s redemption.

Kermit the Frog as Bob Cratchit, Miss Piggy as Mrs. Cratchit, and Michael Caine as a remarkably serious Scrooge bring Dickens’ characters to life with a delightful Muppet touch. The catchy musical numbers and Muppet humor make this adaptation a hidden gem that deserves a place in your holiday lineup.

3. “The Family Stone” (2005)

While “The Family Stone” may not boast the same level of recognition as some holiday heavyweights, it offers a different kind of Christmas charm. This dramedy follows an uptight businesswoman, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, as she navigates the eccentricities of her boyfriend’s unconventional family during the holiday season.

“The Family Stone” is a rollercoaster of emotions, blending humor, drama, and moments of genuine warmth. The stellar ensemble cast, including Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, and Luke Wilson, brings the Stone family to life in a way that captures the essence of imperfect but lovable holiday gatherings.

4. “Mixed Nuts” (1994)

If you’re in the mood for a quirky and offbeat Christmas comedy, look no further than “Mixed Nuts.” Starring Steve Martin, Madeline Kahn, and Rita Wilson, this film follows the chaotic events at a crisis hotline on Christmas Eve. The comedic mishaps and unexpected encounters create a unique and laugh-out-loud holiday experience.

“Mixed Nuts” may not be a traditional Christmas movie, but its zany humor and unconventional storyline make it a hidden gem that brings a different flavor to the holiday film landscape.

5. “While You Were Sleeping” (1995)

“While You Were Sleeping” weaves a charming romantic tale against the backdrop of the holiday season. Sandra Bullock plays Lucy, a transit worker who saves a man from an oncoming train, only to be mistaken as his fiancée by his family. As Lucy becomes entangled in the man’s family dynamics, a heartwarming and hilarious romantic comedy unfolds.

This underrated gem combines romance, humor, and a touch of holiday magic, making it a perfect choice for those seeking a feel-good Christmas movie with a dose of love and laughter.

Wrap up

This holiday season, consider adding these underrated Christmas movies to your festive watchlist. From heartwarming romantic comedies to animated adventures and quirky family tales, these films offer a unique blend of holiday magic that deserves recognition. So, grab your favorite festive snacks, gather your loved ones, and unwrap the joy of these hidden gems that are sure to brighten your holidays with laughter, love, and a touch of cinematic magic. Happy watching!

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan