Tyler Carlin ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Tyler Carlin

Major: Philosophy

Year: Senior

Hometown: Roanoke, VA

Relationship Status: “In a relationship with a hella cutie.”

On Campus Involvement: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

Off Campus Involvement: SuperCarlinBrothers YouTube Channel

What do you love most about CNU?

“I love that in my five years of college here, I’ve never felt like the speech that President Trible gave when I was a freshman was any less true. Like, I feel like when he says, ‘At CNU we look up and we smile and we greet people and we hold doors for them,’ I feel like that really happens and I feel like I’ve never had that experience visiting any other college campuses. That’s what I love most about CNU.”

What is something interesting about yourself that you want other people to know?

“Something that is really cool about myself – and this is definitely more about my [biological] brothers than myself so I am going to give this to them – is that over the past three or four years, they’ve been working on a project that I have sort of been a part of, but it is really mostly them, called the SuperCarlinBrothers, which is this YouTube channel that does videos. Right now it’s primarily about Disney Pixar, Harry Potter, and more ‘geek’ interest stuff, and they have massed an incredible following of nearly 300,000 subscribers on YouTube, which has been really cool. The most popular video is “The Pixar Theory,” which has over 5 million views. I went to a conference with one of my brothers just a couple weeks ago and it was just really crazy walking around and having people recognize me, even though I’m not even really the main celebrity. I think that’s really interesting. I think a lot of people at CNU don’t know that that is even a thing that I do.”

If you could be a superhero, who would you be?

“Captain America; what is this? Amateur hour?”

What is your passion?

“My passion is making people smile. And that’s why I came to CNU. When I was looking at where to get involved, I finally fell on Phi Mu Alpha. Our philanthropy, which is not monetary, but is actually delivering smiles, delivering happiness to people, is the Mills Music Mission, where we go to children’s hospitals and to retirement communities and we sing to people who might not get the attention or might not get the love that they deserve all the time. There’s really nothing more rewarding than, you know, singing to somebody or performing a song for them and seeing the smile across their face. There’s just no feeling that can replace that.”

Describe your perfect date

“I really like long walks on the beach and getting caught in the rain and that’s actually how my girlfriend and I met – or our first date, rather. That’s not how we met… That’s a whole other story. But on our first date, we went to Virginia Beach at like midnight and we just walked the length of the boardwalk twice, and keep in mind, this is late October, and then it started raining. I think that was the first time I got a kiss in the rain.”  

What are you binge-watching on Netflix right now?

“I just finished ‘Orange Is the New Black,’ which is amazing. Now I am trying to get into ‘Gotham,’ which is hard, but I think I am going to stick with it.”

What is your favorite place in the world?

“Sitting in an Adirondack chair, overlooking Lake Champlain, in West Addison, Vt. My family has a little shack no bigger than a York West dorm room, and I have been going there ever since I was a little kid and it is the most relaxing, most beautiful place in the world.”

What is your favorite Disney movie?

“My answer for this has always been ‘Hercules,’ but sitting here right now, it’s hard not to say ‘The Lion King.’”

Who would play you in a movie about your life?

“Andrew Garfield.”

Emily is a senior at CNU where she is a member of Alpha Delta Pi. She likes long walks on the beach, getting caught in the rain, piña coladas, and puppies.