Style > Beauty

Top 10 Self-Care Products I Highly Recommend!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We have all had those long days before where nothing feels more relaxing than a little self-care. When you are a college student that is always active and everywhere at once, sometimes you forget to take care of yourself. In this article, I am going to share my personal top ten favorite self-care products for the relaxing evening you deserve or for a day that you want to absolutely tackle.

10. Clinique Moisture Surge Lip Hydro-Plump Treatment

Let me tell you… living in a windy place such as Newport News gives me such dry and cracked lips. Not to mention over the winter, the wind makes the temperature 10 degrees colder which leaves my lips even more incredibly dry. I will be honest, I am such a Chapstick or Burt’s Bees type of girl, but none of their lip products ever kept my lips moisturized enough. This Moisture Surge Lip Hydro-Plump Treatment by Clinique is the biggest life saver in terms of lip balms. Applying only one thin layer on my lips was enough to keep them moisturized for about half the day before I had to reapply. While it does seem to be on the pricier side, the amount you use per day should make it last for a pretty long time. My one recommendation for this product is to apply a THIN layer because a thick layer will make your lips feel extremely cakey and uncomfortable.

9. CeraVe Daily Face and Body Moisturizing Lotion

As someone who can get acne pretty easily, finding a moisturizer than suited my skin’s needs was very difficult. My issue is that I have combination skin, meaning my skin can get really oily at times and can get really dry at other times. I was in the process of finding a moisturizer that can keep my skin looking healthy without clogging my pores when someone recommended CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. At first, I was very skeptical to try this on my skin, only because I was worried that it would further clog my pores. I was incredibly impressed when I found out that this lotion kept my skin hydrated and I haven’t broken out since using it. For the price, I highly recommend the lotion to anyone with combination to dry skin.

8.Tree Hut Sugar Scrubs

I have never found a product I love using more in the shower than Tree Hut Sugar Scrubs. They have so many different scents you can purchase and even have seasonal ones for Fall and Christmas. They leave my skin feeling very soft and make it smell absolutely divine. Out of all the ones I have tried, my favorites have to be “Candied Lemon” sugar scrub, the Christmas Edition “Holiday Cheer” sugar scrub, and the “Coconut Lime” sugar scrub. For the price of the product, I think you get exactly what you pay for and the scrub will last you a while.

7. Glow Cube Ice Roller

Honestly… one of the BEST ways to wake up your face in the morning. This product allows you to fill water inside of a rubber container (with anything else you’d like such as honey, cucumbers, or essential oils) and pop it in the fridge for a hot 30 minutes. I mainly use this tool in the morning when I wake up to depuff my skin and brighten up the dark circles under my eyes. I’d say the product is pretty reasonable in price, plus it’s made with silicon so it is easily reusable and lasts a long time. The one minor downside to this product is that it is really really hard to get the top off unless you leave it sitting out for 10 minutes. Overall, I love this product so much and I use it just about everyday! (underneath is a link to a YouTube video on how to use it)

How to use the Glow Cube Ice Roller

6. The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque

This product is one of my favorite face masks I have ever used. It is one of my go-to masks for sudden breakouts that you want to clear within 12 hours. It is super easy to apply and you only need just a little bit for certain areas of the face. The mask dries within 10-15 minutes and leaves your face feeling very smooth and clear. The mask does not come off the easiest upon washing and will leave your sink stained black if you do not clean it off right away, but honestly just a small price to pay for the amount of wonder this mask does to your skin.

5. Brazilian Crush Cheirosa 62 Perfume Mist Vanilla & Salted Caramel Hair & Body Perfume Spray

I cannot even explain how good this perfume is. Being in college and having to work all 7 days of the week, I have been LONGING for that vacation-like feel. The blend of vanilla, salted caramel, and pistachio scent really gives that sunny and vacation-like feeling without having to leave campus. The scent of the perfume last practically all day and can even be used in your hair. While this perfume is a lot pricier than your typical Bath and Body Works scents, it will not disappoint and you get a lot out of what you buy.

4. The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

Definitely one of my favorite serums to use after cleansing my face. Not only does it smooth and plump your face for a nice glow, but it also helps target stubborn acne and eliminates dryness. Before you put it on your face, definitely make sure your face is fully dry and make sure to rub it in really well for best results. The only “downside” I feel to this product is that it smells a lot like salt and vinegar chips (which to me isn’t a downside because I LOVE those chips). Other than that, I wake up with refreshed and clearer skin.

3. Mighty Patch Micropoint for Blemishes

Literally a total lifesaver for those red and irritated blemishes without damaging your skin. They can be easily applied to clear, dry skin and will absorb any impurities in the skin. You can wear them throughout the day but I normally wear them at night and take them off in the morning. One small downside to this product is that the patches may be hard to remove from the packaging and could stick together, so my suggestion for this is to remove the patches carefully. For the price, you definitely get what you pay for, as these patches clear just about any painful blemish within 1-3 days.

2. Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops

Okay, I might’ve watched too many beauty Instagram reels, but this product was constantly advertised and I wanted to see for myself how effective this product was. I absolutely fell in love with this product. You can use this product in so many different ways but what I do is combine a small drop with a facial cream or serum and then spread it on my face. It makes your skin feel nice and bronzed all while not clogging your pores. The product will last you a long time if you use small drops everyday combined with a cream or serum. I will say, it can be pretty pricy depending on where you purchase it. The prices can range from 30-60 dollars and I would recommend purchasing this if there is a sale (which is what I did).

1.Clinique “All About the Eyes” Eye Cream

What else can I say about this other than that I LOVE IT. This product was a gift given to me by my aunt, and I was skeptical at first. My under eye circles are absolutely atrocious because I am a burned out college students that gets max 6 hours of sleep once in a blue moon. However, this eye cream makes me look wide awake. I put it on first thing in the morning after washing my face and it refreshes my eyes within minutes. If I could recommend any product, it would be this one for sure. The price for this eye cream is around 37-40 dollars. While I did not pay for this product, I do recommend buying it because you get a lot out of the product for the price. I got this product months ago and still have 3/4 worth of product left in the container. Definitely a game changer for those morning selfies.

Claire is a Sophomore at Christopher Newport University. She is majoring in German and Communications and minoring in Leadership Studies. On campus, she takes part in the Campus Activities Board, the Captain's Log, HerCampus, and is a Leadership Ambassador. In her free time, she enjoys painting, reading, hanging with friends, working out, and journaling.