This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Thrift shopping can be loads of fun and is always an adventure, since you never know what you’re going to find. Though there aren’t any hard and fast rules for thrift shopping – except having fun, of course – there are a few things you can try in your next trip that may improve your overall experience.

Go Into It Open-Minded

When you walk into a thrift store with a very specific idea or style you’re looking for, you restrict yourself from so much of what the store has to offer. Who knows, you may even discover you have a broader fashion style than you thought! Whenever I go thrift shopping, I may have one or two ideas of things I’m looking for, but I always try to browse the entire store regardless of my initial goal just because you never know what you’ll find.

Don’t Skip Any Racks

This point ties in closely to the last one, because when you remain open-minded you’ll want to be sure to browse the whole store. Skipping racks increases your chances of missing out on some great finds! The more you thrift shop, the easier you’ll notice the styles, colors and patterns that draw your attention the most which will start saving you time—aka, the “quick browse.” Once you master the “quick browse” you’ll breeze right through the racks without missing a thing.

Only Buy the Items You Really Love

This is one of the most important rules, if not the most important. One of the dangers of thrift shopping is just how unbelievably cheap everything is, which makes us want to buy every nice thing we can get our hands on. Of course, that’s not the smartest thing to do, so when you’re thrift shopping be sure to set a budget for yourself and only buy the items you really fall in love with. Otherwise, you’ll be leaving the store with regret as you lug your five or six bags full of used clothes to the car.

Always Check Your Clothes For Rips, Tears and Stains

This one is a given, and pretty self-explanatory. Since everything in a thrift store has been worn before, always be sure to check the clothing items thoroughly for any tears or stains. Most thrift stores have a no return policy, so check those items carefully before buying them.

Look Out For Discounts

Some thrift stores may have daily or weekly discounts, as well as military or student discounts, so be sure to ask about it when you check out. Some thrift stores, like Goodwill, have special discount colors that change each day, so be sure to check those too if they have them.

I hope these tips are helpful to you and make your next thrift shopping adventure a little less stressful. Happy shopping!

Nina is a senior at Christopher Newport University pursuing her BA in English with a concentration in writing. She has a passion for writing and helping others as much as she can, and hopes to work for an organization that will help make a difference in people's lives. In her free time, Nina enjoys reading, spending time with family and friends, and taking long naps.