This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I transferred to CNU Fall of 2016. While I knew the decision to leave my previous institution was my own, my choice to come here heavily weighed on the fact that my boyfriend was coming here. The fall semester together was great, but once the relationship ended, I had a little bit of a mild freakout that the decision to transfer here was the wrong one. I have since had time to reflect on the situation and realized that this transfer was one of the best decisions I’ve made.

For starters, I’m absolutely in love with our campus. Every day I’m in awe of the beautiful buildings and greenery — even more so lately since the weather has been so nice. I love walking around at night and seeing Christopher Newport Hall and the Bell Tower so beautifully lit up. This is definitely a gorgeous campus and I feel so lucky to be able to experience it.

I love my major classes and professors. I would never even had considered a Communication Studies major if I hadn’t transferred and taken a comm class to fulfill a requirement. I love the classes and honestly couldn’t imagine taking them anywhere else.

Photo Courtesy of Startup 

I always thought my old school had a strong sense of community because it was another small school, but it was really nothing compared to the sense of community I feel here. I get so happy every time someone holds the door for me, or I see everyone out on the Great Lawn on a gorgeous day. Any time I’ve ever needed help, been lost, or even confused, someone is always so willing and able to assist me. The people and community here are really something special.

While I may have had some doubts, I’m more certain than ever that my decision to transfer was the right one, and I am so excited to spend the rest of my collegiate career here at CNU!

I'm a junior at CNU majoring in communication studies and minoring in psychology. I spend most of my time in the library or binge-watching somethng on netflix. I enjoy the outdoors, a good cup of coffee, taking care of animals and the environment, and writing articles about topics that matter to me. Enjoy!