This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

ANONYMOUS

I never thought I would find my person in college. It was a childhood hope, a pipe dream, that I would find my long-term partner here at CNU. When I first arrived, I had come to the negative conclusion that I would spend the next 4 years single and that I had to accept that sober fact. However, in a weird timeline of little coincidental events (that if I made one split second decision differently, would have never occurred), I found my future husband! I had only met him because the weather was shining sunny and jolly, I was feeling confident because my outfit was particularly killer, and I was in a somewhat social mood and spontaneously decided to meet up with a classmate’s friend group. What if I had chosen different clothing and felt a bit more introverted that day, would I have met him? Perhaps fate stirred its hand in the pot of life. Then again, we re-encountered each other at a club fair because I was curious to see what other organizations were offering at their table. Another chance meeting in the books. Through series of wild adventures like coming to meet my pet on campus to falling off a cliff into the tree-line, we grew closer instantly, almost subconsciously knowing we were perfectly matching puzzle pieces for each other. An unexpected CNU love story!

ANNONYMOUS

I met my boyfriend through a club. In February, we had club interviews to determine which committee would be the best match for everyone in the club. I first saw him during the interview process because we were in the same group. I took a liking to him but didn’t say anything at first. A month later after being interviewed, we each got placed into committees, and low and behold, he was on my committee. At first, it was awkward because while I wanted to talk to him, I thought it would be weird to date someone within my committee. Days later we had our first date which went well and from there we started dating on April 24th. Now we have hit 9 months and are close to a year of dating and even better, it is not awkward within our committee.

Tinder?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

ANNONYMOUS

My first Tinder date will always be funny to me because my friends sat in on it. I was really nervous since it was my first date from a dating app, so I asked my roommate to sit in the cafe just in case something suspicious happened. I went on the date and we grabbed coffee and were chatting at a table when out of the corner of my eye, I saw my roommate coming in with the rest of my friend group. I had to sit on the date and pretend not to know the group of people sitting by the corner of the cafe and it was hard to try not to laugh when my friends would walk by me and my date to “go to the bathroom”. I think my date got suspicious because he kept on glancing in the direction of my friends, but the date ended well and I laughed with my friends about it in the future.

ANONYMOUS

When coming to college, I had no idea if I would find my person. I remember calling my mom one day on the phone and asking her if I would ever find my soulmate. She told me that she met my dad when she was 19 and that maybe the same thing would happen to me (around the time of this phone call, I had recently turned 19). I remember laughing and telling her, “I don’t think my soulmate will fall from the sky just because I’m 19”. Sure enough, a couple of days later, I had interviews to determine what committee I would be in within my club. That’s where I met my boyfriend and we made instant eye contact when we ended up in the same interview group. A couple of days later, we hung out and before we knew it, we ended up in the same committee of this club. Sure, it was a bit awkward and we did get side eyes from others within our committee but we made it work by staying professional. Today we are celebrating 10 months and we will be hitting a year in April.

ANNONYMOUS

My idea of romance and love solely comes from Young Adult romance books that I have read over the years. While a lot of these books consist of some more extreme tropes, a lot of them do encourage a sentiment of not settling for anyone when it comes to relationships. Through this, I have recently found a person that knocks my past exes out of the water and makes me feel like a main character in a YA book.

ANONYMOUS

My boyfriend doesn’t attend CNU with me, instead he has a full-time job in Hampton. Navigating our relationship while living very different lives hasn’t been easy, but I love the way he makes an effort to show up for me and my needs. Whether it’s bringing me a Starbucks between classes or cooking me dinner when I’m hours into homework with no end in sight, he makes an effort to be apart of all aspects of my life.

ANONYMOUS

I thought the last person I was with was someone I was truly in love with, but in the end, there was a lot wrong. He never paid for me, or opened the door, or even offered to drive. And it never hit me how much those things matter. That there is respect attached to those gestures. So, currently, I am focused on myself and forming self love experiences. And I believe new love is on the horizon for me, but I sure won’t let them treat me the same.

Abigail Lee is a Junior at Christopher Newport University. She is a Communications Major and a Writing Minor. Her hobbies include cooking, playing the ukulele and longboarding. Her favorite show is Avatar the Last Airbender and her favorite movie is the Parent Trap(the one with Lindsey Lohan :)) .