Super Bowl 53: Spongebob Halftime Show Betrayal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

The Super Bowl halftime show was interesting, to say the least. If you do not frequent the internet, you may be unaware of why, and you may have been confused about why there was a 10 second SpongeBob cameo in the Superbowl. Well, last year, a petition came out to have SpongeBob’s “Sweet Victory” play during the halftime show rather than the normal halftime show. The petition was inspired after the passing of Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob, passed away. As of writing this, the petition has received 1,220,837 signatures. This petition and subsequent media storm caught the eye of the NFL, who greatly hinted and teased that it would happen. So many sat down and watched Super Bowl 53, waiting for the moment SpongeBob came on.

And to be fair to the NFL, he did come on. For like 10 seconds. To introduce Travis Scott and sicko mode, which is a song of his, I learned. This lack of action caused a great uproar from SpongeBob fans, who believed they had been promised “Sweet Victory.” Squidward appearing for 10 seconds to introduce Travis Scott’s Sicko Mode was not, in fact, “Sweet Victory.” Fans took to Twitter and to Facebook to express their disappointment, and the let down was really the icing on top for a very boring Super Bowl.

Now, full disclosure, I didn’t watch SpongeBob growing up as a kid. Shocking, I know. (My mom hated the sound of his voice and never put it on). So, to be completely truthful, I don’t understand the nostalgic appeal of “Sweet Victory” (though my roommates did force me to see the episode, and it is enjoyable). That being said, I was super excited to see SpongeBob sing that song, but alas, I got Travis Scott rapping, which I didn’t really want, to be completely honest.

I was also super excited for SpongeBob because the game had been so boring and, to be completely honest, so had the halftime show performance by that point. I love Adam Levine and Maroon 5 as much as the next person, but that whole performance was…wow. It seemed like someone had thrown it together in fifteen minutes and wanted it to be as exciting as possible but had no real understanding of how any of it worked. 

That seemed to be a common theme for this year’s Super Bowl experience as everyone just…phoned it in. The game sucked, the commercials sucked (sans a few, The Washington PostMicrosoft, Bud Light and Game of Thrones, to name a few), and the halftime show was average. To be completely honest, I prefer it over the mess that was Justin Timberlake’s last year. That was a mess. 

Anyway, I’m not a big fan of football, and the Super Bowl is the only time I pay attention to it. This year I wish I had done just about…anything else. I wasn’t really rooting for the Rams, and I was definitely voting against the Patriots, but I ended up not even caring about the game by the end of it. Sports are really boring sometimes.

What about you, reader? Did you enjoy the Super Bowl? Were you disappointed by the lack of SpongeBob? Let me know in the comments down below!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.