Summer Kelly ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Summer Kelly

Major: Communication Studies

Minors: Leadership and Theater

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Ashburn, Virginia

Relationship Status: Single

On campus involvement:

“I’m in Trebled Youth a Cappella, PLP, and the rock climbing club. I’m looking to get involved in Greek Life and hopefully some of the musicals through the Theater Department next semester.”

Off campus involvement:

“I volunteer at the Aviation Academy with PLP. Once, we got to help fix a broken 3D printer, which was really cool, but normally we help with paperwork and such for the school.”

Most embarrassing moment at CNU:

“At CNU? Wow, there are so many… OH. This involves my love of Crocs and an elevator. Once I was getting out of the elevator in front of a bunch of people and my croc got stuck in the front of it and I fell. I didn’t know what to do – I was just stuck. And I was in Crocs.”

What are you most looking forward to about sophomore year?

“My living situation, like my suitemates – Kayla, Allison, and Sarah. They’re pretty much my best friends and I’m so excited.”

Top thing on your bucket list?

“I don’t know. I’ve got a lot. Top three: skydive, I want to go to Australia, and I wanna be famous. But that’s gonna happen anyway.”

If you had the choice, what Disney princess would you be?

“Princess Anna. Because I already AM Princess Anna. I’m not kidding. I dress up as Princess Anna for birthday parties. I saw the midnight premiere of ‘Frozen,’ and then I saw it 17 more times in theaters.”

What would you do if you were the sole survivor in a plane crash?

“Probably come up with a clever tweet or Instagram or make a really funny snap story.

Can we have an example?

“I would get a song like ‘Stayin’ Alive’ and play that in the background of my snapchat.”

Describe the color yellow to someone who’s blind.

“This is so funny because my grandma’s blind and we do this all the time – except we explain things wrong. I don’t know. It’s just yellow. I’m not good with blind people! Me and my cousins, whenever we see my grandmother, we just change identities and mess with her. Yellow… it’s a color. And it’s bright. Tell ‘em to Google it. Or ask Siri.”

On average, how many times a week do you hurt yourself dancing in the shower?

“It depends how many times I shower a week. Like, if I shower twice a day, then 14 times. But at least once a week. I don’t remember a shower where I didn’t.”

Who would you let punch you directly in the face?

“Demi Lovato.”

How old were you when you realized Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny probably never actually knew one another in real life?

“Oh… um, probably when I found out they didn’t exist. So 5th grade. I figured it out, but I didn’t tell my mom because I wanted presents.”

How violently do you have to fight the urge to scream when you hear the ice cream truck coming?

“I don’t really like ice cream from a truck…”

How long after you feel full do you keep eating?

“Right away… I never hit that stopping point.”

What do you do when a baby just stares at you in public?

“Make faces back and then put it on my snap story.”

Who do you just hate the most?

“Wow, okay. Like famous people or just regular people? I really, really… See, it’s a love-hate relationship with Kanye. I think he’s hilarious, but I just don’t like him. And Shawn Mendes. I hate Shawn Mendes. He’s so insignificant in my life.”

What do you think dogs dream about?

“I don’t know. That’s just… not something I’ve ever thought about before. Probably the same things we dream about, just from a different perspective. That’s kinda deep.”

Is there anything that you want people to know about you?

“I’m not as weird as I seem… Like I’m normal-ish. It’s in a better way. And also – I love Demi Lovato.”

CNU '17, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Trebled Youth A Cappella, Taylor Swift and Mary-Kate Hovanic are my Spirit Animals, 'Merica
Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife