So You Wanna Be Less Basic: A Style Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

First and foremost, no one is judging you because you like Starbucks. Caramel macchiatos are amazing. Let’s be real. I’m not putting you down for wearing UGGs. I mean, who doesn’t like warm, cozy feet? I sure as hell do. The objective here is not to shame anyone for being a so called “Basic Bitch.” It’s to assist those lovely ladies out there who might need a little confidence boost to be an individual. The amount of times I have heard things like, “Wow, I love your outfit! But I could never pull that off,” is ridiculous. You are being ridiculous. There’s honestly no such thing as not being able to pull something off. Do you like the thing? Is the thing on your body? Then guess what? You’re pulling it off. Style is all about expressing yourself.

To be basic is to express yourself in a conventional, standard manner. Maybe you want to blend in with every other person walking by you. Hey, that’s your prerogative. But, maybe, you want to break out of the mold. Maybe you recently heard Demi Lovato’s new track “Confident” and now feel inspired to let out your inner “Bad Bitch.” If the latter sounds familiar, then this style guide is for you.

The Basic: Han Solo Girls

Try This:

For the more adventurous:

Vests are an awesome medium for fall. Not too warm, not too cold. But those puffy vests are extremely common. Stay cute AND comfy with this look instead. Branch out with a more interesting vest. Faux fur is totally in right now and an easy way to instantly look chic.

The Basic: UGGs and Black Leggings

Try This:

For the more adventurous:

As a #Basic, you know that black leggings are a staple in your wardrobe. Don’t be afraid to spice it up a little! Try printed leggings, or joggers which can be surpringly versatile, fashionable, and feel just like sweatpants. A maxi skirt in place of leggings could also be a simple way to liven up your look. Pretty much any other boot (with maybe the exception of cowboy boots, or Bean boots at CNU), is a step in the direction away from “basic-ness.”

The Basic: Cardigan, Infinity Scarf, and Jeans combo

Try This:

For the more adventurous:

A flowy belted cardigan is flattering on every body type. You could also try a little pattern mixing! When done right, it’s an absolute knockout. 

Now that you have a little more confidence to be individualized, don’t get crazy. Don’t try to do an ultimate shopping spree at Urban Outfitters and walk out looking like Lorde with dark purple lipstick on the first try. You might want to ease into it, so as not to shock your friends and family with a radical transformation. But do you! Live your life, girl!

Be bold.

I am a current senior at Christopher Newport University as a history major with a minor in childhood studies. A future elementary school teacher, with a blossoming passion for photography!