The Six Types of College Freshman Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

The 6 Types of College Freshman Relationships

1. The “I’m Still With the Love of My Life”

Everyone one on campus knows that person that is still clinging to their high school relationship. They call them every other day and skype whenever they have a free minute. They’ve probably been together for a good year or so and are convinced they are the only ones that will ever withstand a long-distance relationship. Granted, it is romantic and heartwarming to know that they’re trying to keep this love alive even though they’re 300 miles apart, the relationship is usually in the ground within a month of classes starting.

2. The “I’ve Just Lost the Love of My Life and Need to Rebound”

Hallcest. The almost-inevitable college experience. If you aren’t in a relationship coming into college, and especially if you’ve just been dumped, you’ll probably catch the eye of the cutie across the hall. You’re vulnerable, college is new and scary, and you really need that security you had with your ex. You’ll start by hanging out with everyone else and then you’ll start “doing homework” together, when, in reality, you’re just watching movies and making out. If you’re lucky enough, your roommate will walk in with things start getting a little more serious. From there, the situation ends up getting awkward (because, ya know, you live 10 feet from each other) and you just try to avoid eye contact for the next eight months.

3. The “We’re Not Dating But Probably Will in Two Weeks”

They aren’t even remotely expected to date, but once they do, the entire hall is ecstatic. The couple start isolating themselves from the group of friends on the hall, obviously to spend time together. Similar to hallcest, they start watching movies alone, but they actually enjoy each other’s company. The whole hall is overjoyed they’re a “thing”, and can’t wait to see where this goes.

4. The “I Can’t Even Think About a Relationship”

You’re in a sport, involved with undergraduate research, in a comedy club, on the Class Council, in Spectrum, and want to be involved with orientation this summer. Your classes are new and confusing and difficult and college is asking so much of you and you’re giving it your everything. However, the only relationship you’re looking for right now is with copious amounts of coffee and the comfy chairs in Einstein’s. It’s not that you’re distant or won’t ever be interested; you just know that you wouldn’t be sleeping if you were also in a relationship. You’re smart and know that your health is more important than the adorable person in your Spanish class.

5. The “God, Sexuality is Confusing”

Throughout high school, you mostly dated guys. Nothing ever felt right, but you weren’t sure why. Being in a relationship with a boy just never made your heart flutter. Everyone told you about how college is for experimenting, so you go for it. It’s confusing and difficult at first because let’s be honest, pretty girls are intimidating. Maybe you go on a few dates, kiss your first girl, and really get acquainted with this new feeling. You embrace it and feel thoroughly excited to ‘experience’ instead of ‘experiment’.

6. The “I’m Dating Me”

You JUST got out of a relationship no less than a month before classes started. It was a really rough break-up and you haven’t been single since 8th grade, so being alone is not really your forte. You discover, though, that you really don’t know anything about yourself because you’ve been with people the majority of your adolescence. Instead of chasing after another relationship, you date yourself. You take yourself out for movies and dinners and really discover yourself and your interests. Needing someone is overrated and you take as much time as you need to commit to someone again.

Regardless of what anyone else says, all of these situations are valid. You are in college to discover yourself and what you like in other people. Date everyone, date no one, just have a good time and make sure you’re happy. Everyone deserves to feel safe and happy, regardless of relationship status.