Sing Your Heart Out A Cappella Invitational Hits a High Note

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

CNU’s a cappella community had another rousing success with University Sounds’ second annual ’Sing Your Heart Out’ invitational competition Saturday night. The event, which was billed as “the biggest since Glow-in-the-Darcappella,” featured seven groups from Virginia colleges.

Besides CNU’s very own Expansion (pictured below), USounds managed to snag Hampden-Sydney College’s Acousticals and JMU’s Madison Project to round out the all-male competition. The Newport Pearls and UMW’s BellACappella provided all-female entertainment, and VCU’s RAMifications plus UMW’s Symfonics were the mixed groups invited to perform. While the judges deliberated, USounds provided a killer performance to keep the audience interested. With the Gaines Theater decked to the max in Valentine’s-themed decorations, Sing Your Heart Out began (and ended) on a high note!

All seven groups were vocally amazing, but it was CNU’s Expansion who took home first place and fan favorite, with Acousticals and Madison Project placing second and third, respectively.  Will Toll, Expansion’s beatboxer, said that the group was “surprised and excited to have won! We came into it just wanting to have fun, and we’re happy to have the opportunity to sing with some fantastic groups.” It’s easy to see why Expansion is so near and dear to CNU’s heart, especially after their rendition of 5 Seconds of Summer’s “She Looks So Perfect.”

Still, every group was thrilled to be participating, and the camaraderie between groups was high despite the competition. Kaitlin Hamer, a Newport Pearl, had lots of good things to say about the experience: “Participating in this invitational was so much fun! We got to showcase a bit of our new music and meet some incredibly talented people who we will definitely continue to stay in touch with! USounds could not have done a better job hosting!” The Pearls brought the house down after closing their set with a rendition of Ariana Grande’s “Problem,” and Madison Project kept that energy up by closing the show with “All of Me” by John Legend and a rap-meets-Adele mashup.

Dante Perry, music director for USounds, spoke for the group when he said that it was “just amazing to see (the event) grow right before our eyes.” Most (if not all) would definitely agree – regardless of which side of the stage one stands on, USounds put in an incredible effort and it paid off so well! It’s easy to see that Sing Your Heart Out will be a staple event in CNU’s a cappella community for years to come! 

Caitlin is a junior studying comm + theater at CNU and loving every minute of it! She's a proud coffee addict, Francophile, Newport Pearl, and former Oxfordian. Check out her blog at apearlonapath.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter @caitlinraybourn!
Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife