This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

So, I live on the second floor of a building this year. You know what that means, right?

STAIRS.

Yeah, I hate them. It’s even worse because I live on the second floor.

No, seriously. Think about this for a second. It’s totally acceptable to take the elevator for the third or fourth floors of a building. In fact, it’s almost required. Anyone who wants to make sure that they aren’t gasping for air the moment they reach their destination knows that they must take the elevator. BUT the second floor? No. Never.

I gained some weight throughout the year/summer. Thankfully, I didn’t meet the Freshman 15 (it was more like the Freshman 12 for me) but I definitely put on some weight.

And I can feel it every time I take the stairs.

At first it wasn’t an issue. It was actually kinda cool. I could go up the weird stairs to the second floor of Warwick without any issue, smiling to myself as I went around the corner to my room.

But, now, I kinda hate it. After a long day, or with lots of bags in my hands from going grocery shopping, I am slowly trudging my way up those fifteen or so stairs, making loud stomping noises as my feet hit the landings.

It’s super easy to go down stairs. I can go down like fifteen flights of stairs. It’s going up them that I have a problem.

I can hear my knees screaming for help, too. Little by little, they crack as I work my way up.

I REALLY hate them.

Climbing to the second floor of an academic building doesn’t really bother me. I’m not sure why; maybe it has something to do with the fact that I know my bed is hella close to the stairs in my dorm and so I trick my mind into thinking that it’s over and I inevitably slow down. Or maybe I’m just weird. I don’t know.

But what I do know is that I really HATE stairs.

Have I mentioned that I hate stairs?

But, they’re not all bad, actually. Realistically, taking the stairs to the second floor is so MUCH faster than waiting for the elevator that’s probably picking people up on it’s way down. And, also, it’s just one (three little ones) flight of stairs. Honestly, it only takes me 10 seconds.

If my 220 lb self can make it up one flight of stairs in 10 seconds, I wonder what else my body can do?

Stay classy, Captains!

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.