This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.
Aries- Saxophone

Aries, you are competitive by nature and have a lot of passion. The saxophone is a versatile yet popular instrument, which means that it’s a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to music. You are very adventurous but sometimes get bored easily. There are four different types of saxophones that are relatively easy to switch back and forth from, so you’ll never run out of options. Saxophones usually get the coolest parts (especially in jazz), so it’s always fun and entertaining. Since the saxophone has a wide range, you can play any and all of your favorite songs. Because of its popularity, there’s a lot of competition, which will fuel you to want to practice to be the very best. The competition is good for you, Aries! With your fiery energy, the saxophone is a perfect fit for you. Not only does it sound amazing, but it makes you look ten times cooler! Rock on, Aries! 

Taurus- Tuba

Taurus, you are dependable and always someone that everyone can rely on. The tuba is the foundation of any band. Without the tuba holding the bass line, the band falls apart. You keep the pace of everyone else and don’t like being involved in drama. Though your part may seem boring, it’s the most important. Everyone listens to you. You may come off as stubborn sometimes, but that’s okay if you play the tuba. As a tuba player, you sometimes have to correct the band when they are playing too fast or too slow. You are the driving force and everyone has to go your speed whether they want too or not. It is your job to make sure that you are going the right tempo to set an example for the rest of the ensemble. With your stable and trustworthy personality, the band will be safe in the hands of a friendly Taurus. 

Gemini- Percussion 

Gemini, one of your greatest features is that you are adaptable. Percussionists have a wide array of instruments that they need to know how to play. This includes all sorts of drums, bells, xylophones, triangles, and whistles. You are the icing on the cake! Percussive instruments are what bring a band to life. Geminis are whimsical and creative, so percussion instruments let you be able to try new things every day. Sometimes you can be indecisive, but as a percussionist, you never have to commit to just one instrument.

Cancer- Flute

Cancer, you are very in tune with your emotions. In the context of playing an instrument, this is a good trait to have! Being able to constantly be aware of what’s going on in your personal bubble as well as the people around you is helpful. The flute sounds beautiful, emotional, and transcendent. Slow and lyrical flute solos can sometimes bring an audience to tears, especially if the musician put their heart into their performance. Just like every other instrument, the flute has its problems. If it is too hot or too cold, the flute can get out of tune. Every instrument can get out of tune, but the flute is small and gets out of tune much faster than almost every other instrument. Cancer, you can sometimes be a bit too emotional and need to take a step back and listen to your surroundings. Flute players have to constantly listen to themselves and each other so they can stay in tune with the rest of the band. When all the flutes are in tune with each other, they sound beautiful and harmonious. 

Leo- Trombone

Leos are fun-loving and bold. You are always loud and proud! One of the most in-your-face instruments out there is the trombone. They are brassy and loud and aren’t ashamed about what they play. Every trombone player that I have met has been charming and funny, just like Leos. As a Leo, you aren’t afraid to be out there! Trombones are used for all sorts of genres. They stand out in every ensemble that they are in. The trombone is a bit tricky because there are no buttons to press. The way they change their sound is by moving the slide. Once you get used to it, playing trombone becomes fun! Trombone players always look like they’re enjoying themselves the most. Leos are fun-loving and optimistic just like a trombone player. 

Virgo- Oboe

Virgo, you are kind and work hard without too much of a fuss. Oboe is one of the hardest instruments to learn, but the pay off is well worth it. It is elegant and beautiful. Oboe players are rare and hard to come by, but having one adds depth and color to any band, just like Virgos. Oboe solos are a chance for you to shine and soar over the ensemble with beauty and grace. It is a very tricky instrument to learn but after some time, you will appreciate the chaos of learning with the beauty of its sound. Since oboe players are so rare, there’s no competition. It’s just you and your instrument. That’s a good thing! You aren’t dramatic or too competitive but you are a perfectionist. The lack of rivals in your section gives you a chance to really get to know your instrument and know what you’re playing.

Libra- Upright Bass

Libra, you are prized on being balanced and fair. You are always willing to put others before yourself. Typically, you are seen as a quiet observer. The upright bass is a lot like a tuba, but much quieter. The bass is used to keep a steady tempo for the band. Because your instrument does not require you to regulate your breathing to play, it is much easier to focus on other things going on in the group. It is much easier to listen and make sure that everyone is balanced and staying together. With no instrument blocking your face, you can really see what the conductor is doing and make sure that the band does not go too fast or slow. If the setting permits, you may be able to tell a tuba player to speed up or slow down depending on the needs of the group. Libra, you are very just and really like to look at the big picture. Playing upright bass would be awesome for you! If you decide to do jazz, you get to play really cool improvised solos!

Scorpio- Trumpet

Like Aries, you have a lot of passion and are a trailblazer when it comes to things that you care about. You are blunt and speak your truth. Trumpets are a lot like you, Scorpio. Trumpets are the star of the show in a lot of jazz, marches, fanfares, marching band, and pop music. There’s a lot of trumpet solos and features, so it gives you the opportunity to be independent and let your hard work shine. Scorpio, sometimes you put up emotional barriers that make it hard for people to get close to you. For any instrument, it’s important that you trust the other musicians around you. In an ensemble, don’t forget that you have to listen to other people in your group and may need to lean on other trumpet players for support. You can’t always be independent and play to the beat of your own drum. When you play with others (especially fellow trumpet players), it can be just as cool as a solo! 

Sagittarius- Clarinet

Sagittarius, you are known for being adventurous and strong-willed. You aren’t afraid to do your own thing. Even though clarinets are quiet, they add a unique flair in jazz settings. The clarinet isn’t typically a jazz instrument, but there are songs that have solos specifically for jazz clarinet. When given the opportunity, Sagittariuses show off their big spirits and play their hearts out. Sometimes you go too far and stick out, so just be sure that you are also paying attention to others. In a classical setting, the clarinet can be enchanting or enthusiastic. There’s many different tastes and uses for clarinets, it’s all up to where you want to take it, Sagittarius! 

Capricorn- French Horn

Capricorn, you are a perfectionist by nature. You like to have rules and you are hardworking. Playing the French horn is a very exact kind of art form. Not only do you have to make sure you are pressing the right keys, but you also have to make sure your hand is positioned just right inside of the bell. It is a bit difficult to get used to and it might frustrate you, but the discipline limits you from being overwhelmed. If you follow the proper techniques, playing french horn becomes second nature. Not only does it sound bright and inviting, but french horns also share parts with the saxophones, which is one of the coolest parts that you can get!

Aquarius- Bassoon 

Aquarius, you are in a class of your own! Each Aquarius is unique and one-of-a-kind. The bassoon is an instrument that is hard to come by in most bands. With its strange appearance and unique sound, it is sure to catch the attention of listeners. In an ensemble setting, the bassoon settles into the background but once it gets its chance to play on its own, it really shines. To me, the sound of the bassoon is what it would sound like if a tree could sing (it’s really awesome!). It is one of the largest woodwind instruments and is just as complex as an oboe. Aquarius, you are very action-oriented and can jump into any challenge. Learning bassoon is hard but it will be worth it once you get the hang of it! Like an Aquarius, a bassoon is quirky and in its own category. Even though it is a woodwind, it typically plays parts that are more similar to lower brass instruments. 

Pisces- Euphonium

Dear Pisces, you are known as the wisest and deepest of the signs. You are really in tune with your feelings and often like to sit back and listen to others. A euphonium (also known as a baritone horn) is a low brass instrument that is basically a tiny tuba. Even though you may not recognize it by name, it is used in things like movie soundtracks and symphonies. It has a dark and deep sound, almost like what sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold winter night might sound like. Pisces you are a deep thinker and you are very idealistic. Playing euphonium means that you can sit back and listen to all of the parts working together as you hang in the back and create a musical backdrop. When a euphonium gets a solo, it is always low, deep, and tender; almost like a hug. As a fellow Pisces and euphonium player, I can attest that it is a match made in heaven. 

Thank you so much for reading! :) 

Hi, my name is Julanney! I am a freshman majoring in English and I am also a marching captain. I look forward to being a part of her campus this year! :)