This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Caitlin Murphy

Year: Junior

Major: Communication Major and Dance Minor

Other Involvement: Delta Gamma, Her Campus Social Media Representative, Dance Concert

1. What do you love the most about CNU? “I know everyone says this, but honestly the small class sizes really have made my CNU experience amazing. I see the same people on campus every day, and I have made such close relationships with my classmates and professors. Also, it helps that I can leave my room 15 minutes before class and still make it on time.”

2. What are some personal goals you have for yourself this year? “I tend to overwhelm myself when I set goals, but I do set short term goals often to keep myself accountable from week to week. As for long term goals, I am working on cutting myself more slack and not being so hard on myself all the time. Self love is a constant process, but it really is true that you can love others more once you love yourself. Also, my goal is to get an on campus job. I need them coins.”

3. How did you know that DG was the right home for you? “Being a part of Delta Gamma has been one of the best decisions in not only my CNU career, but also my life. The bonds I have made with my sisters is something I never imagined I would find. Transferring to CNU a year after starting college made it tough to make friends, especially since I lived off campus, and now that I am in this sorority, not a day goes by that I don’t feel love and friendship. Also, shoutout to Laura Brady, my big and one of my best friends. She has helped me open up and become much more involved on campus and in life in general, even though we are both the biggest introverts you will ever meet.”

4. What advice do you have for the women that are thinking about rushing next semester? “I can tell you first hand how petrified I was to go through recruitment, but it really is worth it in the end. It is a long three days, but thankfully CNU’s formal recruitment is much shorter than other schools! My biggest advice is to go into recruitment with an open mind, and BE YOURSELF. You may feel like you need to act a certain way or say certain things to make a good impression, but I promise you being your genuine self will take you so much further. All sororities at CNU are amazing organizations and just know, there is a place for you.”

5. Where do you like to spend time when you’re not in class? “This semester free time really doesn’t exist, and I am always in the library, but if I’m not, I am dancing! I have been a dancer my entire life, and it is truly a stress reliever for me. Some of my best friends in the entire world are people I have met through dancing. A great example is Brittany O’Hara, who is also a CNU student and is a huge reason I came to CNU — I consider her family. As for my other dance friends, I can go months without seeing them, and still pick up our friendship like I see them everyday. I am a dance minor, and am participating in the dance concert this year, so come watch me in March!!!! [I love how I snuck in a self promo] Lastly, if I’m not dancing, you can find me eating cereal (I am a cereal connoisseur) or sleeping. I’ll pass on the Netflix Binge, and go straight to sleeping, please.”

6. What has been the best part of being a member of HC CNU so far? “Her Campus has been so amazing! I am a social media representative, and working with the Her Campus team has taught me so much about teamwork and leadership. I feel like it is a ‘fun job’ in a way. Yes, it is a club not a job, but writing articles and posting on our Facebook page makes me feel like I have a fun writing job. I used to always tell my mom I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up. Now that ‘Journalism is dead’ and I have decided to become an Event Planner after college, this helps me feel like I am still fulfilling my writing dream.”

7. If you could be any superhero in the world, who would it be and why? “TBH, I really don’t have any interests in superheros, but if I had to be one, I would be Recyclops, Dwight’s superhero persona from The Office because let’s be honest, I am more invested in The Office than I am anything else.” 

8. If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would it be and why? “I have always wanted to go to Spain. My mom was born in Spain because of the military, and I would love to go and see where she spent the beginning of her life. Also, I heard the food is amazing. My grandparents promised they would take me to Spain when I was 12 *cough cough still haven’t gone* so if I ever go, my life would be made.”

9. Favorite song on your Spotify right now? “Ahhhhh this is hard because I have so many favorite songs. Can I do 3? Ok I’m going to do 3. My favorite ‘current’ song is ‘Capsize’ by FRENSHIP and Emily Warren. My favorite workout song is ‘No Problem’ by Chance the Rapper (aka my Husband), and my favorite throwback jam session song is ‘Behind These Hazel Eyes’ by Kelly Clarkson.”

10. Favorite nail polish shade? “I have found quite a love for nails these past couple months! I currently have almond shaped acrylic nails, but beware they hurt so bad when you jam your finger. Now that fall is here, I’m so hype to have dark colors on my nails. I think my favorite nail color is dark burgundy. They just look good with any fall outfit and every skin tone.”

Make sure you like us on Facebook so that you can read all of Caitlin’s funny captions for our articles! 

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps. 
CNU student, dancer, sister of Delta Gamma, and Director of Photography for CNU Her Campus!
I am a current senior at Christopher Newport University as a history major with a minor in childhood studies. A future elementary school teacher, with a blossoming passion for photography!