This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Alexis Painter

Year: Junior

Major: Chemistry

1. What are some things you like to do in your spare time? “I love to work out! Staying healthy is really important to me, so working out and cooking healthy meals are some of my favorite things. Since I come from the mountains, hiking is one of my all-time favorite activities. I also like to paint, so I spend a lot of time painting canvases for my friends.”

2. What was the main reason for deciding to come to CNU? “I immediately fell in love with the school when I did research online as a Sophomore in high school. When I toured campus as a Senior, I knew from the minute I stepped onto campus that this is where I belong. CNU is the perfect size; we are small enough that there is such a strong sense of community and love, but you can still meet someone new every day.”

3. If you had to pick a favorite song right now, what would it be and why? “Oh, this one is really tough! I guess I would have to choose between Say It by Flume or Back in the Day by Brantley Gilbert–two totally different styles, I know! I really like the sound of Say It because it’s one of those songs that you can almost feel in your chest. It has a really good beat that puts you in a good mood. Back in the Day is one of my all-time favorites, though! It reminds me a lot of high school and growing up where I’m from. I come from a small town called Swoope in Augusta County, VA, and the song is so fitting to the atmosphere of my town.”

4. How did you decide to pick your major? “I actually came into CNU intending on being a Biology major. I took a few of the intro-level courses, and I found that I wasn’t as interested as I had originally anticipated. When I took Organic Chemistry my Sophomore year, I fell in love with the subject (yes, I am a nerd!). It’s funny, I used to joke that people who got a degree in Chemistry were crazy and boring, but here I am! I think Chemistry is easy to hate when someone has only had high-school level General Chemistry–because we all know how awful that was.”

5. Describe your ideal first date. “Something unique! I think a first date is the most important part of a relationship because it’s the first time you actually get to talk to the person. I absolutely hate dinner or movie dates as a first date. Having dinner is so awkward because I spill everything I touch and then you have that really tense moment after the server asks if the check is split and it’s all just so fake. Movies, though, are the WORST! You can’t even speak and get to know each other, and when you’re tired all the time like I am, it is so hard to stay awake. So if I could pick a first date, it would be something like walking the Noland or going to the beach where my date and I could actually have a conversation.”

6. What’s your spirit animal? “Probably a cat. It’s definitely my dream to sleep all day and it be totally acceptable. Plus, cats are so chill, like who wouldn’t want to be a cat?”

7. What drew you to Her Campus CNU? “The social media accounts, honestly. I liked the graphics and giveaways, which made me Google Her Campus in general. When I got to read about its humble beginning and quick growth, I knew it would be so beneficial to be a part of.”

8. When you were little, what was the number one thing you’d get in trouble for (something funny)? “I was really well-behaved when my parents were watching, but not so much when I knew (well, thought) I could get away with things. Most of the time, I would do things to frame my older sister, Montana. I carved her name into the toy box, cut the curtain and blamed it on her, and–my personal favorite–cut my dog’s hair and put the scissors and hair under her bed. I don’t think I ever got caught, but if you’re reading this, Dad…it wasn’t me.”

9. What’s your morning routine? “Inevitably hit snooze approximately four million times, finally wake up, check my phone, and think about how pissed I am that I have to get up (I am soooo grouchy in the mornings). Then, coffee. I hate being spoken to in the mornings until I’m actually awake, so I hibernate in my room while doing my hair and makeup and getting dressed. Then, I grab something quick to eat and go to class. I am definitely not a morning person until I’ve had my coffee. Once I do have it, though, I can conquer anything!”

10. What’s your favorite fall trend? “Oh, totally boots and scarves. And vests. Actually, all of it. Fall fashion is so trendy and  fun, yet so practical.” 

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps. 
I am a current senior at Christopher Newport University as a history major with a minor in childhood studies. A future elementary school teacher, with a blossoming passion for photography!