Meet Erin Boyer, the Queen of Involvement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Erin Boyer

Hometown: Springfield, Va.

Major/Minors: Communication Studies; Civic Engagement and Social Entrepreneurship and Women’s & Gender Studies

Year in School: Junior

On Campus Involvement: RA in Santoro Hall, Residence Hall Association – Assistant Director of Marketing, Student Director of Orientation (specifically Setting Sail Logistics), Director of Service Hours for Delta Gamma

Tell me about your orientation experience as a Crew Leader:

“Being a Crew Leader was the best – so great. It c hallenged me, I learned a lot more about the university than I did before, I met a lot of incoming students that I still see around campus, and I’m not too weird so they still say hi to me. And I guess it’s just a great bonding experience with my fellow crew leaders. Since I had such a great time during Setting Sail, it inspired me to try to be a Student Director and it just worked out well.”

As a Student Director, what can we expect from Orientation 2016?

“This year you can expect a lot of intentionality with all the programs that we do. Also we’re putting a lot more interactive things to help make those sessions at Setting Sail just more enjoyable and make sure students have a good time.”

How have your involvements at CNU impacted you?

“Wow. They’ve impacted me a lot. I didn’t really start getting super involved until sophomore year, so it’s been a growing experience. It’s just impacted me to try new things and feel more confident in myself. It’s also helped me figure out what I want to do with my future and involvement is just so key, especially at CNU where there are so many opportunities for leadership and growing.”

Which of your experiences do you think has shaped you the most?

“I think… well, this is kind of weird. So I applied to be an RA and Crew Leader my freshman year and got denied. So I think for me, going through rejection and then finally getting it, made me appreciate it. So those kind of roles impacted me the most because I got to make the most of it and I wanted it and wanted to help make that experience better for someone else.”

What’s your favorite thing about CNU?

“Everything. I just love that no matter where I go, there’s people I know. And my friends always joke (to) ‘Stop waving at everyone,’ but I just like the community aspect and how everyone wants to be here and they want to make a difference.”

Do you have any advice for incoming students and current freshmen?

“My advice is to do one step at a time. Maybe start your first semester with academics and one involvement, and keep adding them on to kind of see how you handle it, because adding it all in at once is overwhelming. I work better when I slowly started adding it. I kept being more successful and was like, ‘Okay, now that I’ve established myself here, I can do something else.’ So don’t be overwhelmed or angry at yourself if you’re not super involved right away. Take your time and make intentional involvement. Don’t just be involved just to have something for your resume. Do it for a reason. Make sure you love it.”

What do you want to do in the future?

“I want to go into higher education administration. Hopefully you’ll see me in three years working at CNU, rising thorugh the ranks, and who knows, maybe I’ll be the next Katie Wellbrock. Hashtag goals. She’s so cool! She’s an Associate Dean of Students. But yeah, she’s so cool.”

Is there anything you’d like people to know about you?

“I’m very weird but fun and approachable, so I love friends and people. So don’t be afraid to say hi to me, I guess. [laughs] I’m so awkward, though!”

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife