Major Haters Gonna Hate, I’m Just Gonna Communicate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Listen up everyone. I cannot tell you how many times I have been looked down upon because I am not majoring in Computer Science or some other terrifying, math based major designed to torture those who pursue it. To many people, the major that I did pick, Communication Studies, is an “easy major.” Well, let me tell you, there is no such thing as that. One of my closest friends is a Biochemistry and Biology double major, and I spend almost the same amount of time in the library slaving over my homework as she does. While she is writing lab reports and memorizing chemical structures, I am reading 50 page readings and writing sometimes up to three papers in one week. She shudders at the idea of writing papers just as much I do at math and science. Everyone likes different things, and every major is different, so don’t put people down because they aren’t doing the same work as you. As you can imagine, it is extremely frustrating when someone writes my major, or any major for that matter, off as an easy path.

This is what goes through the heads of the people who get our majors looked down upon:

1. When a Music Major has been to back-to-back rehearsals and studios, and then gets told that music shouldn’t even be a major…

2. When Comm. Majors are told that it’s the easy major for people who have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but have to write a 25 page paper for Philosophy and Comm…

3. When English Majors get told that the only thing that they can do is teach while they are in the midst of crying over the eight books that they have to read for one class…

4. When a Theatre Major has just spent hours slaving away in Costume Lab or the Scene Shop, and are told that they will never get a job…

5. When a History Major gets asked if they want to work in a museum while they have to read an entire book on one really obscure part of history…

6. When a Psych Major is asked if they couldn’t handle Bio or Chem while writing extremely long research papers…

7. When Math Majors are asked why they would put themselves through a miserable major when they actually really just love differential equations…

So, you get the point. Don’t look down on someone because you believe that they are in an easy area of study. College is about getting an education and self-discovery, not putting people down because they might not be on the same path as you. Personally, I am studying Communication Studies and I love rhetoric and plan on using what I have learned about analyzing language and how we use it to go to law school. You never know what someone is planning to do with their major, so don’t bash them for it. The moral of the story is, if someone else is pursuing what they love, why should that matter to you? If you are doing what you love or what you believe is the best path to success, then embrace that fact, and don’t judge other people for doing the same.

Sadie is a senior at Christopher Newport University with a major in Communication Studies and a double minor in English Literature and Theatre. Sadie is the Social Media Director and Instagram Admin. of the CNU chapter of HerCampus, the Vice President of Take Note a Cappella, the Treasurer of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Secretary of Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society. Sadie enjoys singing, justice, Harry Potter, Netflix, rhetoric, hanging out with her Squad at home and her Clique at school, Mexican Food, and a good GIF.