This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Choosing a major is a tough decision, but society continuously makes it worse. In today’s world, college students are pushed to major in the types of areas that tend to get people practical jobs with practical salaries. And if your passion is engineering or computer science, that’s great! We need people like you. But for those of you out there who are struggling to decide what you want to get a degree in, don’t let society’s voice get in the way of your dreams and your passion.

As an English major, I’ve had to learn to accept the fact that many people are not going to take my major seriously. I used to dread telling people my major because what would inevitably follow were the doubtful looks and questions about what I planned to do with my future. And I’ve come to terms with the fact that, yes, I have a plan for my future, and that is to be happy with my life and my career. And you should be too.

No matter what you major in, getting and maintaining a job takes work, and the more passionate you are about what you’re doing, the more effort you will give. And being passionate about your major will show in your classes, in interviews, and will lead to job opportunities.

If you have a calling, follow it. You will work harder in life if you’re doing something you love, so don’t keep yourself from that. If you want to major in Theater, major in Theater! Don’t push yourself towards a more “practical” major because your disinterest will eventually start to show and affect you in your career.

Ignore the lists that society constantly hands out telling people which majors make the most money, and which ones are the most likely to get you a job after college. Again, you should enjoy your career, and again, if you love what you do enough, that will show and will provide you with opportunities.

So stop stressing if you’re undecided. Don’t try and fit into the mold society is creating for what a successful major is. In the words of T.D. Jakes, “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” The world becomes much lighter when you’re doing what you love, so don’t just choose a major because it’s “practical.” Choose a major because it’s meant for you.

FIrst I drink the coffee, then I do the things.