Leaving Your Mark: CNU’s Trible Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

As a relatively young university, CNU has a knack for creating traditions that have stood and will stand the test of time. President Trible and CNU as a whole push the uni’s pillars (marble pillars, that is…) of excellence, tradition, and honor and encourage students to constantly look for something bigger and better than their current life: to define significance. Many students were able to do just that this past Friday. Students were literally able to leave their mark and sign one of the metal beams that will be a part of the library expansion’s structure. I know as an avid Trib Lib visitor and ‘Stein’s Cafe spender that this was a truly amazing experience.

As a hardworking student, it’s so incredibly easy to lose sight of what’s important when you’re drowning in hours of late night studies. We often forget why we are where we are. We forget where we came from and who was there to bring us to the exact place that we are. Being able to sign that beam made me remember.

It reminded me of why I decided to major in English and my passions for bettering the world of education. It made me remember my home, my friends, and those who love me and support me. It reminded me of the hard work I had to put in while I was younger to get where I am today. Despite all the stress that I was experiencing with school and life, I was absolutely present, yet flooded with memories and reminders of why I love my studies and my school. Although it can really (really, really…!!) take a toll some weeks, I remembered how absolutely blessed I am to be where I am and doing what I’m doing.

Even if you didn’t get to sign the beam, take a second to remember just where you are. Remember everything about where you are. Right now, just close your eyes and breathe. Take in this moment. Before you know it, it will be gone, but if you are present, focused, and truly want to leave something better behind, this moment will not be forgotten.

English Major at Christopher Newport University || Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus @ CNU | Obstinate, headstrong girl | curly hair, don't care | Jesus & coffee & Jesus | insta:_thejewels Email: julianna.gonzalez.15@cnu.edu