This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We all have insecurities, no matter how much confidence we present on the outside.  For me, one of those insecurities falls onto my writing. I love to write, it’s something I’ve been doing since making my own version the of the “Dear America Diaries” in Elementary school with my best friend, Sarah. My brain creates the most wild combinations of ideas and schemes that don’t ever follow one pattern, but for some reason, it works for me.

That right there is one of my setbacks, though; I love those ridiculous concoctions that I come up with, but I’m constantly worried no one else will show any interest in it. I’m unable to fathom the idea that someone could enjoy work of mine, when I create it for my own specific joy and not for anyone else. I’m writing because I want to and I’m writing what I choose, so I’m always worried no one else will enjoy what I create because they don’t have the same level of interest in my topic as I do.

Another problem for me is criticism. I welcome criticism when it comes to my writing, because I always want to be improving and flourishing as a writer, but there will always be that little part of me that shies away from what others have to say about my work. Since I choose to only write about things that matter to me, I tend to get very attached to whatever it is I’m working on. This results in me getting easily offended or upset when someone offers up some criticism because I feel that they don’t love or understand the topic the way I do, and that’s their issue with my writing.

Realistically, I think my biggest fear is rejection over my passion. I don’t want to spend so much of my time and energy creating something I love just to have it ripped to shreds by someone else. I realize it’s not possible to please everyone or make something every individual will love, but it doesn’t stop that little voice in the back of my head from whispering about how people aren’t going to like what I’ve created.

My biggest push in helping me get over this insecurity has been writing for Her Campus. I’ve found a place where women empower and support each other in their creative endeavors. While I still have some minor fears in sharing my writing even on Her Campus, I feel so much more comfortable and supported in sharing things that are close to my heart. I think I still have a ways to go in working on this insecurity, but it’s something I’m ready and willing to do.

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan