This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We are all familiar with those funny ladies that we know and love as The Improvocateurs! Known around campus for their fun events and the many laughs had at said events, this group has come a long way since their founding in 2014. In fact, last year they won the “Outstanding New Organization of the Year” award for the 2014-2015 school year! 

So now we are in the midst of formal season, when all of the Greek organizations are having their annual formals. According to Senior and President of the organization, Caitlin Caplinger, “One of our mottos is #sisterhoodorsomething. It’s a play off of sororities but we really mean it. We have a wonderful bond. And what do sororities have? Formals of course. After our first show this year, Drunk With Power, we were all just itching to celebrate. Especially the seniors who had been a part of founding. So we decided, why not have a special celebration for us and the people we most enjoy?!”

In the weeks leading up to the event, the ladies of The Improvocateurs could be seen around campus asking their friends and significant others to go to the Improvocaformal, which was scheduled to be on Friday, April 1.

When I heard about the event, I thought it was so cute and clever that an organization that wasn’t Greek was having a formal, so naturally I thought, “I should write an article about this!” So on Thursday of last week, I asked some of the members to speak with me about the event. Caplinger added, “Our dates know that above all else, we are funny women. So we essentially made a promise when we asked them that they were in for a night filled with surprises.” They played it very cool and gave me the information that I needed. Little did I know…

IT WAS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!! 

Not only did they fool their dates, but anyone including me who wasn’t in on the joke. After what I thought was their formal, I followed up with them, and that is when I was told by senior Angel Maimone that “‘Improvocaformal’ was actually an elaborate April fools joke! We got our dates to get all dressed up and take formal pics and then we told them there wasn’t a real ‘formal.'”

Instead, the lovely ladies of the Improvocateurs took their already all-dressed-up dates to the Push Comedy Theater in Norfolk to see an improv tournament and then had a little after-party. Maimone said, “We had a blast and our dates were really good sports about the prank!”

The Fooled Dates:

And the lovely Improvocateurs!

All in all, this was an extremely clever idea, and also was a great way to get people talking about their group! The Improvocateurs have definitely proved that they are an organization worth talking about with their witty events. 

Here’s a group photo of the ladies with their dates. 

Be on the lookout for The Improvocateurs’ next event! 

All photos from the Improvovateurs’ Facebook page. :) 

Sadie is a senior at Christopher Newport University with a major in Communication Studies and a double minor in English Literature and Theatre. Sadie is the Social Media Director and Instagram Admin. of the CNU chapter of HerCampus, the Vice President of Take Note a Cappella, the Treasurer of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Secretary of Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society. Sadie enjoys singing, justice, Harry Potter, Netflix, rhetoric, hanging out with her Squad at home and her Clique at school, Mexican Food, and a good GIF.