This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well. This week is not kicking my butt that much, so I am a little relaxed. For today, I would like to tell you how I stay organized with all my assignments and to-dos, so without further ado. 

The planner I use and that I have been using since freshman year is the Erin Condren Academic Planner. They have many different designs and customizations. It’s on my Christmas list every year and I am excited to pick my planner for next year. So the first step I would say to organizing your planner is to actually get a planner, whether that be an Erin Condren or one of the cute ones from Target; either and any are perfectly fine.

The next step, and I just started doing this and it really works well, is to assign a color to each of your classes. I am using highlighters, so for example, for my motivation and emotion class I am using a blue highlighter to just highlight the bullet of whatever assignment I have to do that day.

Once you have decided on a color, the next thing is to actually read your syllabuses and start to write out due dates for everything. I would also start making notes of when to start studying for tests because they come up quickly. I normally give myself a week to make a quizlet and study for the test. It would also be a good idea to give yourself a specific day when you want to do certain readings. Meaning don’t just put down that chapter one reading is due on September 14th. Write in your planner that you have to read chapter one on September 10th, so that you still have a couple of days in case you don’t read that day and it is a constant reminder. 

For tests and quizzes I also write down when the test actually is, but in a different color. For example, I had a test in one of my classes this past Monday, so I wrote down on Monday that I had a test and then crossed it off when I got back to my apartment or when I was done with the test. I don’t know about you, but I like to check this off of my list, so checking off a test makes me feel accomplished. Oh, I also check off things using a different color pen, I like a nice red pen.

Ok, that is my little how-to for organizing your planner. Hope you enjoyed. Until next time.

Hi everyone my name is Nicole and I am a senior at CNU. I am majoring in psychology and am currently applying to graduate school to become a licensed counselor. I currently enjoy watching American Horror Story with my roommates and reading.