The Lalalaptop Phone Coffee
The Lalalaptop Phone Coffee
Her Campus Media
Wellness

How to Stay Productive While Working From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Doing schoolwork from home when you’ve been so used to going to class on campus is such a huge adjustment. You’re at home all day with nobody to really push you to stay productive, and let’s face it, when you’re at home your body is just automatically in “lazy mode” since it’s so used to associating the home with relaxing, sleeping, etc.

With all the universities closing due to COVID-19, we’re all struggling together right now to keep up some sort of productive routine during this quarantine. Here are some helpful tips I’ve learned recently on how to stay productive at home that may be of use to you:

Create a Designated Space, Far Away From Your Bed, Where You Can Focus on Your Homework and Studying

It’s important to keep a separation between work and play (or sleep, in this case). Trying to do your homework in your bed is usually a recipe for failure. But, if you really have nowhere else to go, you can try moving the pillows and sitting on the opposite side of the bed to create a difference for your brain that tells it it’s time to work.

Put Your Phone on Airplane Mode and Leave It in Another Room

This is honestly one of the most helpful tips I’ve come across. I don’t even realize how much I’m distracted by my phone until I look at the time and see how much of it I’ve wasted scrolling through social media and playing games. Again, leaving your phone somewhere far away from your designated work area will further train your brain to recognize it’s work time and will help you focus better on the task at hand.

GET DRESSED—Even if Nobody Will See You

Going through your normal routine of showering, choosing an outfit for the day, getting dressed and putting makeup on (if you do) can really get your mind focused and ready to do some productive work.

Also, another tip: wearing jeans or something slightly uncomfortable that you normally wouldn’t nap in is a great idea. There’s something about wearing jeans that just keeps you from getting sleepy. Plus, knowing you’ll have to do the extra effort of changing your entire outfit into something comfy in order to nap may be enough reason not to in the first place.

Physically Map Out a Schedule for Yourself

Doing this makes it more “real” in a way and seeing everything mapped out will make it easier for you to stay on track and make sure you’re doing everything you need to do. Creating a checklist of things could also help motivate you throughout the day as you steadily check each thing off the list!

I hope this list of tips helps you as you navigate through your journey of working at home. Good luck, take care of yourself and stay safe!

Nina is a senior at Christopher Newport University pursuing her BA in English with a concentration in writing. She has a passion for writing and helping others as much as she can, and hopes to work for an organization that will help make a difference in people's lives. In her free time, Nina enjoys reading, spending time with family and friends, and taking long naps.