This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Have you been having trouble lately with your bathroom ~routine~ but don’t know who to talk to about it? Don’t feel awkward! Millions of Americans suffer from constipation and irregular bowel movements every year, so you’re not going through this alone. However, this fact doesn’t really make it less awkward to talk about with people. Don’t worry–we’re here to help. If you need some advice on how to get ~regular~ naturally, this is the article for you.

Drink Water

Getting those eight glasses of water a day is essential to maintaining intestinal health. All that water helps bulk up your stool, allowing it to pass through your intestines easily. Grab your water bottle and drink up!

Squat When You Go

Most people sit when they go because it feels natural, it’s comfortable, and it’s easy. However, squatting is actually a much better bathroom position than sitting. When you squat, your knees stay closer to your stomach, which helps push out bowel movements faster. Plus, your glutes will thank you for that extra little workout. ;)

Exercise Regularly

I know, I know. Life is incredibly busy and often gets in the way of exercising. However, maintaining a regular exercise routine is essential to maintaining a regular bowel movement routine, so make some time, hop on that elliptical, and power through.

Eat More Fiber

This one may seem like a no-brainer, and that’s because it is. Yet, most of us don’t eat enough fiber daily. If you’re feeling blocked up, reach for whole grains, fresh veggies, and fibrous fruits. When you consume more fiber, your stool becomes bulkier, thus marking it easier to get out of your system.

Go When You Need To

When you get the urge, GO! Many people don’t enjoy using public restrooms, so they often wait to go until they get home. Doing this can be detrimental to your intestinal health because holding in bowel movements causes your system to become constipated. It’s better to face the dreaded public restroom than to not go at all.

Manage Stress

Believe it or not, stress can play a role in upsetting regular bowel movements. When you get super stressed, your intestines can start to seize up, making it hard for bowel movements to pass through properly. If you find yourself getting stressed, take a breather. Your body will thank you.We’re not doctors, but we hope our advice helps! If your intestinal issues continue after trying all these things, it’s probably time to seek some medical help. And remember, don’t feel ashamed–everybody poops.

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.