HC DIY: 2018 Lunar Calendar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s January of 2018, a time for declaring and, for some of us, falling short already on our resolutions. For me, I wanted to get more in touch with nature and try to find more natural ways to help keep myself happy and healthy. In my research, I came upon an interesting article from Elite that explains how the moon phases can actually affect our bodies and decisions. For now, I wanted to bring a fun and easy DIY to help all you ghouls and guys keep track of what the big cheese is doing in the sky! 

Step 1: Collect your materials

For this DIY, you probably already have everything you could possibly need right in your dorm room. My Lunar Calendar was done with only black sharpies, but feel free to mix it up and add colors and gorgeous illustrations. These are the things I used (and certainly not a limit) for this craft:

• Sketchbook Paper or Cardstock
  • A few different-sized round objects for your moons (water bottle caps, pill bottle caps, coffee canister tops etc)
  • Pencil
  • Eraser
  • Sharpies or other markers
  • Crafting Time: <1 Hour

Step 2: Plan and sketch your calendar

To do this, I checked out sites like Pinterest and Youtube. My inspiration for this calendar came from Youtuber Jordan Clark who makes gorgeous minimalist DIY’s for all my witchy needs. After you have a general idea of what you want your calendar to look like, get your pencil and begin sketching your calendar. There is no right or wrong way to draw calendars, and remember that everyone’s is different. Using the pencil first helps you experiment with different shapes and layouts without committing to the permanence of a pen. Once I found the layout I liked, I went ahead and went over it with a black Sharpie.

Step 3: Find a source of lunar phases

After you have drawn out and outlined your moons, use Google to find a source for lunar phases for 2018. I found that this Moon Calendar Website provided the best and most accurate source of moon phases. After I gave those a quick read, I decided to record the moons onto my calendar and traced over each circle as I went.

Step 4: Personalize and enjoy!

Once you have finished placing your accurate moon phases and dates on your calendar, use Sharpies and other things such as glitter to help make it your own. I decided to put my dates inside of the moons, but feel free to put them above and underneath (above was my original plan but I got too circle happy and ran out of room). Inside of the Goddess symbol I put at the top is the Leo constellation for my astrological sign, just another personalized touch to help make my calendar shine. Keeping track of things such as moon phases can help everyone’s lifestyle in many ways!

Have you tried making a lunar calendar before? What worked best for you?

"There is no nobler way to spend ones time than making others glad." Little Women, Louisa May Allcott