This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s finally time! The season for binging horror old and new is upon us. There is nothing better than cuddling up on Halloween night and getting scared out of your mind. And if you aren’t a horror movie person, Halloween season is the perfect time to try out a horror movie or two! Put away the costumes and candy; it’s time for bloody gore and killers to come lurking at the door. Trick or treat?

Scream

Step into the thrilling world of Scream. Scream is a slasher mystery that will have you hanging on the edge of your seat from the very first ring of the phone. It is set in the small town of Woodsboro, where a mysterious killer has started taking victims one by one. As police try desperately to find the murderous maniac known as Ghostface, a high schooler, Sidney Prescott, feels she is the killer’s number one target. Sidney tries piece together the killer’s motives, but time is of the essence, because everyone around her is a suspect. Scream is a perfect puzzle with a side order of gore. Just don’t pick up your phone, who knows who may be on the other end. . .

The Shining

From the twisted mind of Stephen King, this horror film will make you never want to enter a hotel again. Set in the 70s, the seemingly perfect Torrance family decides to stay at the infamously haunted Stanley Hotel on its off-season. The family will be completely alone and constantly surrounded by each other in the massive, comatose hotel. With nothing keeping them company but the spirits that haunt the hotel and each other, the isolation of the hotel begins to drive a wedge between the family. But the question is, what will be more dangerous for this family, the ghouls and ghosts, or themselves? The Shining is for those who enjoy a psychological terror that will have you staying up all night.

Get Out

One of Jordan Peele‘s breakout movies, Get Out is a psychological sensation in the horror movie world. In this thrilling horror, Chris, a black man, goes to his girlfriend’s home to meet her white family. As his fears of her white family’s perception on him as a black man grows, he starts to realize that the racism and prejudice that her family holds against him goes deeper and more sinister than he ever thought. This movie dives into race and the uncomfortable grasp that race still has on people. Get Out will make your skin crawl and your mind wander into a sunken place.

Halloween

How can one make a Halloween horror movie list and not include the absolute classic that is Halloween? Halloween takes place in a small town on the most haunting day of the year. After killing his sister, fifteen years in prison later, Michael Myers is being transferred for his court date. When he cleverly escapes in a stolen car, he begins to wreak havoc on his hometown, Haddonfield, which is where young Laurie Strode is home alone. If you’re seeking a classic horror movie, this is right up your alley. Keep your doors locked. . .

Carrie

Another of Stephen King’s book to movie adaptation, Carrie is a bloody horror story of revenge. Carrie White constantly deals with severe bullying from her classmates and abuse from her overly religious mother at home. Young Carrie is an outsider, and seen as a freak by almost everyone around her. After being a bystander to Carrie’s bullying, Sue, a fellow high school girl, empathetically urges her boyfriend to take Carrie to Prom. With Prom on the rise, supernatural powers surface within Carrie. Although her dark life is starting to brighten up, many of Carrie’s torturers are still plotting her downfall. Carrie explores pure and raw feminine rage where you discover just how far you may push someone… and the consequences for that pressure. Don’t look now, she’s after you.

The Conjuring

Rumored to be based on true events, The Conjuring welcomes you to the horrifying world of Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators and demonologists who’s work is to keep monstrous spirits at bay. When The Warrens are called to the Perron home after a few mysterious occurrences, the Warrens come to find that murderous and vengeful spirits have established residence in the home. As they fight to force the spirits dormant again, they discover the history of the home and the reasoning for these spirits’ brutal behavior. The Conjuring will give you nightmares for days.

Zoe is a Psychology major with a Writing minor. She enjoys learning about human development, especially when it comes to child development. Zoe loves writing in her free time and creating stories. She wants to eventually be a Child Therapist/Psychologist and write on the side.