This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Glow in the Dark Acapella – the acapella event of the year! That’s the slogan for GLOW, an event run by the various acapella groups on campus. The event’s slogan is correct in its saying that it is, in fact, the acapella event of the year. If you’re a fan of acapella, I would highly recommend you going to this event. Now, here’s the rundown of how the event went.

First, we were introduced to the MCs of the event who were members of one of the acapella groups, Extreme Measures. They came out with a bunch of energy and were entertaining all night long. After they introduced the event, the first group came out.

The first to group to come out was Hypnotic Control, the hip-hop dance group on campus. They are a fantastic hip-hop group, and they really set the tone for the rest of the event. Now, they did not sing, but they did dance it up on stage. 

Trebeled Youth was the first acapella group to take the stage. They are a mixed acapella group and they were great. They introduced themselves in a video which was full of vine references. The first song they sang was Lost in the World by Kanye West. They changed up their theme by singing Green Light by Lorde, which had a very soulful sound. The last song they sang was Four Minutes by Madonna and Justin Timberlake. Trebeled Youth was a great start to the excellent night. 

Next up was the Newport Pearls, the all-female acapella group. They introduced themselves with a construction-pun themed video which didn’t quite make sense until they came out in construction outfits. They started off quickly with High Hopes by Panic! At The Disco. Next, they sang Growing Pains by Alessia Cara. This song had a more raw sound than High Hopes, but it was beautiful all the same. The last song they sang was I’ll Be There by Jess Glynne. This was also beautiful. The all-female group sounded amazing, and their harmonies were wonderful.

Take Note was the third group to take the stage, introducing themselves with vine references. They started off with a bang, immediately jumping into Friends by Marshmello and Anne-Marie. They then jumped into a slightly different sound with Dying in La by Panic! At The Disco. Then, they really switched things up with a mashup of Take Me To Church by Hozier and Like A Prayer by Madonna. The two songs were not one I previously thought were songs that could be mashed up, but it was really good. Take Note had a really fun, energetic vibe to close out just before intermission. 

After a brief intermission during which some improvised beatboxing occurred, Expansion took the stage. They introduced their members with the Full House theme song, and that video got the crowd all excited for their arrival. Expansion is the all-male acapella group on campus, and they were met by loud screams. They began with the fun song Hey Look Ma I Made It by Panic! At the Disco. Next, they touched their romantic side and sung This Town by Niall Horan. Lastly, they sang some 80s rock with Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas. They were a perfect group to be met with after intermission, as the whole crowd could feel their energy. 

Extreme Measures, a mixed acapella group on campus, was set to perform after them, and they introduced themselves with a hilarious video idea. Their whole video was that all the members had forgotten to make a video for Glow, and the audience was laughing as all the members scrambled to get in one place. Their first song, another Panic! At the Disco song, was Say Amen by Panic! At the Disco. The song was performed beautifully and the crowd was completely ready to go. Their second song was more somber, and the crowd swayed along with the somber beats of Train Wreck by James Arthur. Their performance ended with the mid-2000s hit No Air by Jordin Sparks featuring Chris Brown. 

Last but certainly not least was the mixed acapella group University Sounds. Their intro video was of all the members on the beach posing as their names would pop up on the screen. They were met with high excitement from the crowd, as various crowd members shouted out individual names to cheer on their friends. They started off quickly with I Am by James Arthur. They, too, went somber for their second song with Too Good at Goodbyes by Sam Smith. Their last song got the crowd jumping as they finished off with Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato.

All in all, Glow in the Darcapella was a great night, and I would highly recommend everyone attend this event! I personally had a great time and was unaware about just how amazing the acapella groups on campus are.

Did you attend Glow? How did you like it? Let us know in the comments below!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.
I am a 21 year old senior at CNU. I am majoring in Psychology and am going to master in Elementary Education. On my free time, I like to babysit, watch movies, take pictures and hangout with my friends and family.