Five Women to Be Aware of This Women’s National History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It’s officially March, which means it’s National Women’s History Month! It’s a time to celebrate women & their accomplishments. As such, here is a list of women to celebrate this month in honor!

Harriet Tubman 

For full disclosure, Harriet Tubman is one of my favorite historical figures. Harriet Tubman is a woman everyone knows. She saved around 300 slaves through traversing on the Underground Railroad, as well as a spy for the Union during the American Civil War. If you aren’t aware of her or her accomplishments, definitely begin researching into this amazing woman’s life. 

Katherine Johnson 

Katherine Jonhson was a mathematician for NASA, an instrumental part in making sure astronauts got to space safely, among other responsibilities. If you haven’t heard of her before, the film Hidden Figures gives a good introductory history to her. 

Patsy Takemoto Mink

Patsy Takemoto Mink is probably a name you have never heard before. She was the first woman of color elected to Congress in 1965. She was the first Asian American woman to congress, working tirelessly for civil rights while in office. 

Roxane Gay 

Roxane Gay is a famous feminist writer, known for authoring Bad Feminist. Bad Feminist is an essay collection that discusses feminist topics and is a fresh perspective on feminist as a whole. Other books she’s written include, An Untamed State, Difficult Women, and Hunger. If you’re unaware of her or her work, definitely go researching into her. 

Betty Friedan

Betty Friedan was a feminist writer from the mid-1950s, writing her famous book, The Feminine Mystique. This book shifted the conversation of feminism from first-wave to second-wave, as she protested the number of work women was supposed to do. If you’re unaware of her or her work, definitely begin researching into her. 

I hope you learned something new about important women in history through this article!  It was a lot of fun researching these women, as I was unaware of several of them. I wish everyone reading a very happy Women’s History Month!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.