Five Festive Films to Spark your Christmas Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

As the winter chill embraces the world in a glittering blanket of snow, there’s no better time to cozy up with a cup of cocoa, don your favorite holiday sweater, and embark on a cinematic sleigh ride through the heartwarming tales of five beloved Christmas movies. These festive gems not only transport us to enchanting worlds filled with joy and wonder but also remind us of the true spirit of the season. So, grab your popcorn and gather ’round the flickering glow of the fireplace as we delve into the magic of these timeless classics.

1. It’s a wonderful life (1946)

Step back in time to the post-war era with Frank Capra’s timeless masterpiece, “It’s a Wonderful Life.” This heartwarming tale follows the life of George Bailey, played by the iconic Jimmy Stewart, as he navigates love, dreams, and financial woes in the idyllic town of Bedford Falls. George’s encounter with an angel named Clarence provides a poignant reflection on the impact one individual can have on the lives of those around them. This classic not only warms our hearts but also encourages us to appreciate the beauty of life’s simple pleasures. As you watch George discover the true meaning of Christmas, you’ll find yourself embracing the holiday spirit with renewed gratitude and love.

2. Elf (2003)

For a dose of pure, unadulterated holiday hilarity, look no further than Jon Favreau’s “Elf.” Starring Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf, this modern classic brings boundless joy and laughter to the Christmas season. Buddy, a human raised by elves at the North Pole, embarks on a journey to New York City to find his real father. The fish-out-of-water scenario, combined with Buddy’s infectious enthusiasm and childlike wonder, turns every scene into a festive delight. With its clever humor and heartwarming message about embracing one’s true self, “Elf” is a must-watch for those who crave a perfect blend of holiday cheer and belly laughs.

3. Home Alone (1990)

No list of Christmas classics would be complete without the iconic “Home Alone,” directed by Chris Columbus and written by John Hughes. In this family favorite, young Kevin McCallister, brilliantly portrayed by Macaulay Culkin, is accidentally left behind when his family goes on vacation for Christmas. What follows is a hilarious and heart-pounding adventure as Kevin defends his home from two bumbling burglars. With slapstick humor, memorable quotes, and a heartwarming reunion, “Home Alone” captures the essence of family, forgiveness, and the importance of being together during the holidays. It’s a timeless tale that continues to bring joy to audiences of all ages.

4. The Polar Express (2004)

All aboard the magical train to the North Pole with Robert Zemeckis’s enchanting animated film, “The Polar Express.” Based on the beloved children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg, this visually stunning adventure tells the story of a young boy who embarks on a journey to rediscover his belief in the spirit of Christmas. The animation, combined with Tom Hanks’s versatile performances, creates a mesmerizing experience that captures the wonder and magic of the holiday season. “The Polar Express” is more than just a movie; it’s a ticket to a world where dreams come alive and the joy of Christmas fills every frame.

5. love actually (2003)

Love takes center stage in this romantic ensemble film directed by Richard Curtis. Set against the backdrop of the holiday season in London, “Love Actually” weaves together multiple love stories, each uniquely capturing the different facets of romance. From the quirky and endearing to the heart-wrenchingly poignant, the film explores the universal theme of love in its many forms. With an ensemble cast that includes Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, and Colin Firth, “Love Actually” is a delightful tapestry of emotions, reminding us that love and connection are the true gifts of the season. Whether you’re sharing a cozy evening with a loved one or embracing the holiday spirit solo, this film is a celebration of the warmth and magic that love brings into our lives.

In conclusion, these five Christmas movies offer a delightful sleigh ride through the heart of the holiday season. Whether you’re in the mood for a timeless classic, a laugh-out-loud comedy, a heartwarming family tale, a magical animated adventure, or a romantic ensemble film, there’s a movie for every festive occasion. So, gather your loved ones, indulge in some festive treats, and let the magic of these cinematic treasures fill your holiday season with joy, laughter, and the true spirit of Christmas.

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan