This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Finals are always stressful, but the added pressure of final essays can make it worse. Here’s what the essay-writing process looks like for the average college student: 

Getting the assignment at the beginning of the semester with the syllabus 

Out of sight, out of mind. 

When your professor reminds you to start thinking about the assignment

No thanks. 

Receiving the official assignment with all of the due dates on it

Can’t ignore it anymore. 

Coming up with a thesis 

*Shane Madej voice* “I’ve connected the two dots!” 

Researching

Reading has never been harder. 

Writing up a first draft 

“If there is no struggle, there is no progress” -Frederick Douglass

Procrastinating

Treat yo’ self to a study break every now and then! 

Writing another draft 

Hang in there. You’ve made it this far. 

Going to class the day after a draft is due 

Time for another day run on coffee and adrenaline. 

Going to your professor’s office hours for help

Professors can be super helpful! They did write the assignment after all. 

The night before the final draft is due

You’re in the home stretch now. 

Proofreading

Remember: there’s a difference between “you’re” and “your,” between “their,” “they’re,” and “there,” and between “it’s” and “its.” 

Submitting it online/ handing it in 

You can finally get rid of it for good. 

Getting that hard-earned A that you deserve 

Hard work pays off! 

Don’t let the pressure from finals, essays, and projects wear you down! Remember to take care of yourself and to take study/work breaks periodically to eat, sleep, shower, and just take a brain break from alll of the hard work that you have been doing. You’ve got this! 

Caroline Ernst is a senior at Christopher Newport University studying English with a writing concentration and classical studies and literature as minors. She studied abroad in Rome fall semester of her junior year, where she spent her time exploring the city, Italy, and many other European cities. On campus, she works as her university's Italian tutor in their tutoring center, where she also work as a the Foreign Language Lead Tutor. In addition, she works in the writing center on campus as a writing consultant, helping students with their essays and other writings. She is a proud member of CNU's chapter of Her Campus, where she writes for their writing team and this year will take on the responsibility as Senior Editor.