Style

Female Empowerment in Fashion: This Summer’s Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

If you’ve been on the alt fashion side of tiktok recently, you’ve probably noticed that self-expression is at an all-time-high. I’ve seen corsets, tutus, mismatched suits, harness belts– literally the coolest, craziest looks. The concept of “feminine” fashion is being turned on its head thanks to social media, and I’m convinced this is a byproduct of female empowerment. Women are becoming more confident and comfortable with their bodies, so breaking away from traditional fashion isn’t as jarring as it once was.

Moreover, the “trends” I’m seeing aren’t as universal; people are finding small niches/aesthetics to experiment with, even if they’re a little off-the-grid. Personally, I’m currently into cottagecore and 70’s-themed outfits, but it changes constantly. So yes, fashion is an eclectic hodgepodge right now, and that energy is bound to carry into summer. These are the bold looks I think are going to gain traction as the weather warms up:

Maxi Skirts

So flowy! So free! They kind of have a fairy essence to them. I wouldn’t be surprised if people started rocking earthy skirts this summer; they blend beautifully with cottagecore and are pretty easy to find at local thift stores. 

Crochet Tops

Crochet tops are perfect for summer! They’re breathable, versatile, and (the best part) you can make them yourself with a little time and effort. I’m especially excited to wear the multicolored ones; they go so well with bell-bottoms. 

Body Hair

Not exactly a clothing piece, but I consider body hair a beautiful accessory. Like I said before, women are embracing their bodies, and growing out hair is a great way to do that. Plus, it’s not as controversial as it once was, and I think that with tiktok’s help, female body hair is going to be completely destigmatized within the coming decades. Might as well start now (if that’s your vibe).

Cropped Jeans/Dad Shorts

Environmentally-conscious fashion seems to be up-and-coming, so I can totally see people cropping their winter jeans or buying thrifted jeans to crop for the summer. I would probably pair them with a jean jacket because if you’re gonna go 90’s, you might as well go all-out.

Literally Anything. Wear Whatever You Want. 

70’s, 80’s, 90’s, Y2K… wear it all. It’s literally all coming back at the same time anyways. No outfit is “wrong” at this point because “embarrassing” is no longer a word that applies to style. It’s YOUR body, decorate it however you choose and have fun with it!

Overall, I’m pumped for summer and can’t wait to see what people come up with. “When in doubt, just wear it” is going to be my motto for this year. Try it out if you’re feeling brave!

Sierra is a 2023 alumna and former president of the Her Campus at Christopher Newport University chapter. She primarily covers topics surrounding mental health and personal growth, sometimes dabbling in the analysis of cultural trends and fashion, as well. Sierra received a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Childhood Studies, and is currently working towards completing her Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition to writing for Her Campus, her work has also been featured in The Cupola, CNU’s undergraduate research journal. In her free time, Sierra loves thrift shopping, going on Target runs, and caring for her many plants.