This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

With the Fall season comes lots of delicious foods and snacks. From cozy warm drinks to any food made with pumpkin or apple, the season brings plenty of options of something to fill your Fall food cravings.

Apple Cider Donuts

The first thing I put on this list has to be my most treasured Fall food: Apple Cider Donuts. Some of my best childhood experiences were weekends spent at the pumpkin patch, going on hay rides, sliding down slides that inevitably always burned me, and lastly stocking up on all the wonderful foods and snacks offered in the little country shop that always gets you on the way out. Apple Cider Donuts were the one thing I could never leave the pumpkin patch without. From the fresh apple cider to the cinnamon and nutmeg, soft Apple Cider Donuts have had my heart forever.

Donuts
Alex Frank / Spoon

Apple Cider

It only feels right to move from Apple Cider Donuts to regular Apple Cider itself. While the Apple Cider you can find at the grocery store can be good for a quick fix, personally, I’ve always preferred to make my own at home. While my tastes may seem stuck up in preferring to make my own cider, the recipe I recommend is super simple and straight forward, leaving you with a smooth and perfectly sweet cider.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Okay, so as a kid I could not have possibly cared less about sweet potatoes, as I was a die-hard mashed potatoes girl. At some point, my tastebuds decided to mature and it was my Nana’s mashed sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving that made me fall in love with the dish. Something about the butter and dash of brown sugar caught my heart and now I’m eating multiple types of potatoes at family holidays. While I don’t have my Nana’s exact recipe, nor would she appreciate me giving it out to the masses, here’s a super similar one that I’d recommend testing out!

Sweet Potato With Pecans
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

Butternut Squah Ravioli

I’ve had the best butternut squash ravioli once, and then never again, but here I am years later still craving it. My mom had a friend who randomly made it for us for dinner one winter and ever since then I’ve been obsessed. Prior to that, I had no experience with butternut squash, but the slightly sweet and creamy orange filling has had me hooked ever since. While I’ve yet to find a solid replacement for the best I’ve ever had, here is a frozen option I enjoy occasionally and a recipe I’ve tried out a few times and had mediocre success at. I blame my cooking skills for that, not the recipe.

Apple butter

I know these suggestions have become a bit apple heavy, but it’s so versatile and I couldn’t possibly leave apple butter off this list. Apple butter is another one of those things I could never leave the pumpkin patch country store without, and rightfully so, as it’s absolutely delicious. As simple as it sounds, a plain piece of toast with some apple butter piled on is a perfectly amazing fall breakfast or snack. And it wasn’t until recently that I learned it doesn’t have any actual butter in it, so for those of you who may be on a dairy free journey like me, this is a great addition to things you thought you couldn’t eat but can!

Toast
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan