This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

It seems like just yesterday that renowned pop singer Demi Lovato overdosed on heroin and landed herself in the hospital. Yet, the overdose actually occurred a little over six months ago, and now Lovato is celebrating six months of sobriety.

Photo via Wikipedia

On Friday, January 25, Lovato shared a photo of her six-month sobriety chip on her Instagram story.

Over the summer, on July 24, Lovato overdosed on heroin in her home in Hollywood Hills. She spent two weeks in the hospital before returning to an inpatient treatment facility.

Lovato’s overdose didn’t come as a surprise to some fans, however. About one month before her hospitalization, on June 21, Lovato released the single “Sober.” In the heartbreaking and honest song, she confesses to her fans and family that she’s once again relapsed into drug use.

Lovato has always been open about her struggles with drug and alcohol addiction. She opened up about her journey to recovery in her documentary, Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated, directed by Hannah Lux Davis and distributed by YouTube in 2017.

Photo via Wikipedia

Simply Complicated was a huge success. Almost immediately after release, YouTube and Lovato began producing a sequel. However, following her overdose in July, YouTube released a statement saying that “it’s in production,” but “it’s on hold right now. That’s up to Demi what she wants to say and what she wants to do.”

Although we’ve had no word from Lovato regarding whether or not she will continue with the production of her documentary, we’re all really glad that she is doing well. We’re rooting for you, Demi!

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.