beauty products outside
beauty products outside
Emily Nelissen
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. So wow it’s been a while since I wrote an article, but I’m ready to jump back into it and get back some semblance of normalcy. For my first article of the fall semester, I would like to talk about hair products. I am biracial and was gifted with a full head of curls that I honestly never appreciated until my sophomore year of high school, so about five maybe six years ago (wow seems like a long time). Before my sophomore year, I had gotten my hair straightened and then before that I wore a ponytail everyday with all these products that didn’t help or make my hair look good. Since embarking on my natural hair journey, I have of course tried an array of different products from cantu to most recently deva curl. From hair spray to gel and everything in between, I have tried my fair share of products. So I would like to share my favorite hair products and my least favorite for my hair. 

*FYI my hair pattern is 3b to 4a depending on which chart you look at

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Hair products that worked for my curls

-Cantu moisturizing curl activator 

-CURLS Clarifying shampoo 

-CURLS sublime Conditioner 

– CURLS Heavy Curl Cream 

-Mixed Chicks Shampoo 

-Mixed Chicks Leave in Conditioner 

Hair products that were ok

*(nothing wrong with these products they just didn’t leave my hair looking amazing like the products above) 

-As I Am Leave in Conditioner 

-As I Am Coconut Cleansing Conditioner 

-Cantu Shea Butter Comeback Curl Enhancer 

-Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Oil Shine & Hold Mist 

-CURLS Quenched Curls 2nd day moisturizer 

Unsplash

The ones that didn’t work 

-DevaCurl One Condition Decadence (The most recent hair product I’ve tried. I stopped using it after two days because it was making my hair dry instead of nourishing it) 

-DevaCurl No Poo Decadence (I was really upset that my hair didn’t like Devacurl but the curls know what they want) 

-OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner

-OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo  

Disruptivo / Unsplash

Products I am using now 

-CURLS Blueberry Reparative Hair Mask (this is a once every few weeks mask or whenever I feel like my hair needs something extra. The instructions say to leave it in for a little bit but I leave it in the whole day and wash it out the next day) 

-Garnier Fructis Anti-Humidity Ultra Stronghold Hair Spray 

-Kinky Curly Knot Today 

-OGX Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum 

-Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner 

-Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo 

-Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz-Free Curl Mousse 

-Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enchancing Smoothie

That was a lot of products, but over the course of five years, that’s not too bad. Hope you enjoyed reading about curly hair products that worked and didn’t work for someone with type 3b hair. Until next time!

Hi everyone my name is Nicole and I am a senior at CNU. I am majoring in psychology and am currently applying to graduate school to become a licensed counselor. I currently enjoy watching American Horror Story with my roommates and reading.