This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

The debate among CNU students on which dining hall is better — Regatta’s or the Commons — will never be won. However, if you are a vegan Captain, you may be joining Team Regs this year. 

Regatta’s has vastly expanded their vegan meal offerings for the 2019-2020 school year. Previously, most vegan Captains flocked to Healthy Haven to indulge in whatever designated vegan meal was being served. This year, Regatta’s offers hot vegan options at most stations in the dining hall, made per request. Most stations have a green brochure sign that lists vegan and gluten-free options.

• The grill offers Beyond Burgers and vegan chick’n patties, served with hot french fries.
  • The pasta station cooks up various noodles, marinara sauce, and tons of veggies.
  • The Mexican bar serves tacos and burritos filled with vegan Boca meat, rice, beans, and other toppings.
  • The soup corner always rotates a hot vegan soup, such as three-bean soup or CNU’s famous vegan chili.
  • The pizza station offers a vegan cheese pizza, made with Daiya cheese.
  • Mongolian Grill offers noodles, tofu, vegan chick’n, veggies, and as many other toppings as your stomach desires.
  • There is almond and soy milk at coffee and cereal stations.
  • And of course, the salad bar and Healthy Haven are vegan staples!

Even though vegan Captains all over campus are rejoicing over Regs’ new vegan options, I still see some room for improvement. Here are some of my suggestions:

• There’s no vegan desserts! CNU could easily put out a tray of Oreos so vegan students can get their sugar fix in.
  • Offer vegan grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas, especially since there’s vegan cheese in the kitchen already for the pizzas.
  • Offer more fresh fruit and berries, especially for brunch.

Hopefully, now you are more aware of the new vegan options at Regatta’s. Comment and let me know if you tried any of the meals in this article, or if you agree with my suggestions.

Lauren is from Richmond, Virginia. She is majoring in English and planning to pursue a Masters degree in education. She can usually be found reading, volunteering, lifting weights, and/or jamming out to Ariana Grande.