Carol “AmeriCarol” Dougherty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Carol Dougherty is the epitome of a CNU Captain. From her involvement on campus to her impecible leadership skills, Carol has every quality of a true CNU student. Carol is a 21-year-old senior from Charlottesville, Va. She is an American Studies Major with Minors in Women’s & Gender Studies and Leadership Studies, or as she likes to say, “I am studying ‘studies.'” Some people know Carol as “AmeriCarol” because of her love for our country and dreams of becoming president of the United States one day! 

Carol with President Trible 

Carol is involved in many things on campus including: Take Note a Cappella, Phi Mu Fraternity, Class Council, Orientation (Crew Leader, SLAP Facilitator, Student Director), Front Desk Assistant for the Center for Academic Success, and is a Student Ambassador/Tour Guide. 

Carol Performing with Take Note

Carol just recently received the Dean’s Service Award for her service to the university over the past four years. Carol also added, “That same night, President Trible said he would hold onto the CNU Presidency until I was ready to take over… We shook hands on it, so I would say that’s quite the accomplishment.”

Winners of the 2016 Dean’s Service Award

Carol will be a University Fellow for the Center for Academic Success next year. She says regarding the opportunity, “I’m so excited to give back to the university and help students on their way to success!” When asked what her favorite CNU memory is, she said, “Wow, there are just too many to count… I would have to say either watching my Crew Leader staff excel on stage during Setting Sail, closing Glow in the Darcappella with Take Note my senior year, putting a tent up with friends on the steps of Christopher Newport Hall right after it opened, or getting hit on the head by glow sticks at Light the Night. That last one was my favorite new tradition!”

Carol’s Senior Send-Off for Phi Mu Fraternity

“Being a ‘Captain for Life’ means two things to me,” Carol says. “First, it means finding ways to give back to CNU once you graduate, whether that’s financially if you are able, promoting CNU to possible future Captains, or attending alumni events.  Second and more importantly, it means taking what you learned throughout your four years and the values cultivated in this community to be successful and to do miraculous things for others. I truly believe that’s what CNU is all about, learning how to ‘set the world on fire.'” 

Carol and her sisters! 

When asked if she had anything else that she wished that she had done at CNU during her time as a student, she said, “I wish I had spent more time learning from my professors outside of the classroom.  I definitely did not take enough advantage of those office hours to learn how to be successful like them!  I also wish I had auditioned for the dance concert because I love the Theater and Dance Department!” Carol believes that you should take in every moment during your time here at CNU, whether you’re an incoming freshman or a rising senior. “CNU is a very special community that will love and support you,” she said. Her advice to rising seniors is to “Appreciate that [community] and soak it all in during your final year.  Also, find ways to start giving back to CNU! Use what you learned to mentor underclassmen and find new ways to serve the campus to transition into being a Captain for Life.”

Carol at 2015’s Glow-in-the-Darcappella

An embarassing CNU moment for Carol was something that occured last year. “I lived in Wilson above the back of Tropical Smoothie. I had opened my window to check the temperature and I accidentally pushed the screen out. The screen fell from the second floor down to the ground.  I stuck my head out and saw a whole family enjoying their Tropical Smoothie, looking up at me in shock. I waited to get the screen until the next day because I was too embarrassed.”

AmeriCarol

Carol is looking forward to graduating, but you will be able to find her next year as a Fellow in the Center for Academic Success! She is very friendly and always willing to help, so go see her next year for a familiar face! She is a one of a kind Captain! 
Sadie is a senior at Christopher Newport University with a major in Communication Studies and a double minor in English Literature and Theatre. Sadie is the Social Media Director and Instagram Admin. of the CNU chapter of HerCampus, the Vice President of Take Note a Cappella, the Treasurer of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Secretary of Lambda Pi Eta Communications Honor Society. Sadie enjoys singing, justice, Harry Potter, Netflix, rhetoric, hanging out with her Squad at home and her Clique at school, Mexican Food, and a good GIF.