Campus Celebrity: Tyler Hobson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Tyler Hobson

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business Management, Minor in Finance

Hometown: Oakton, Virginia

Campus Involvement: Green Team, Founder and President of Flow Club

Favourite color: Green

Dream career: Entrepreneur and stock day trader

Hobbies: Spinning poi, going to music festivals

Spirit Animal: “I have never thought about that… maybe a dog.”

What’s at the top of your bucket list?: “Tommorrowland!!”

Tell me about the flow club: “Flow Club is about the flow arts, which are basically an ‘older’ tradition of entertainment consisting of spinning hoops, poi, fire, staff, and other objects of manipulation in a rhythmic dance, generally to music. There is a large community of flow artists across the world and our club helps to bring together hidden flow artists on campus. We hold weekly flow sessions for members to learn new styles, teach others, and make new friends, while exploring different types of music. We are planning to take trips to JMU and other schools with flow clubs too.”

Which style of flow is your favourite?: “I spin poi mostly. Fire poi is my favorite because it’s more of an adrenaline rush.”

How can other interested students become part of the flow club?: “We will be featured on The Compass soon and at the next club fair but they can just email me for more information. We want to see the club really grow this coming year.”

If you could spin poi anywhere in the world, where would you pick?: “Anywhere, really, that has a great view. Probably the Grand Canyon. There are some cool fire festivals though. I want to spin there for sure.”

For more information on how to join the flow club, contact Tyler via email: tyler.hobson.13@cnu.edu

Mikayla is currently a sophomore at Christopher Newport University where she has yet to decided whether to Major in Sociology or Studio Art. While at school, she enjoys spending time with her friends, painting, and creating way too many melted crayon projects. When she is at home, she loves watching Frozen on repeat with her little sisters. Although she has yet to study abroad, Mikayla desires to go anywhere and everywhere in the world.