This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Halloween may just mean dressing up and trick or treating to you, but to me it means Halloween movies! Here are my top movies of the season. Just a warning, I believe horror movies are their own separate categories so it’s only wholesome family fun here.

Halloweentown series

Halloweentown is the premiere Disney Channel Halloween series. It has magic, teen angst and Debbie Reynolds! What more could you want? Growing up, these movies were my lifeblood of fall and watching them today gives me that happy, nostaligia of my youth. 

Twitches

Another Disney Halloween classic, Twitches brings together the Mowry twins for this epic movie about twin sister witches. Honestly, there were more movies in this series, but the first one is the by far the best. This movie literally inspired the beginning of my goth phase. Go Twitches! 

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

You have to watch whatever seasonal Charlie Brown movie is on, you just have to. I loved Charlie Brown growing up and my holidays never feel complete without watching them. This movie brings me back to sitting in my family room as we all prepared to go trick-or-treating later in the night. 

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Although this isn’t necesarilly a Halloween movie, it definitely peaks around this time. Now, as long as you go into this movie with the understand that there is really no storyline, you’ll love it. The music, costumes and 70s style perfectly combines for this timeless classic. 

Nightmare Before Christmas

I know! Controversial! I believe this Tim Burton classic is both a Christmas and Halloween movie. This ambitious crossover is the perfect sequeway movie to lead you into the Christmas season after Halloween (although you should wait till after Thanksgiving to truly begin). Coraline is another Tim Burton classic that doens’t necesarilly celebrate Halloween, but still evokes the spooky season and is a favorite of mine for this time of year. 

Halloween movies are the best way to get into the season. What’s your favorite Halloween movie?

Annie Silva is a Junior at Christopher Newport University. She is majoring in politics and on the pre-law track. In her free time, she enjoys hanging with friends, reading and cuddling her cat.