9 Things Freshmen Shouldn’t Fret About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Freshman year is stressful and not just because of classes. Everyone puts expectations on their freshman year, but sometimes the pictures in our heads aren’t actually how things turn out. If you’re feeling lost and are worried that this is as good as it’s going to get, don’t. It will get better! Sometimes these things take time so here are some things you shouldn’t fret about your freshman year:

1. Don’t worry if you feel lost about what you want to do.

You don’t have to come to college having your future planned! If others around you are talking about what they want to do with their lives, that’s great for them, but college is about learning more about yourself. Through the different classes you take and the new situations you’re put in, you’ll figure out where you need to go. And that doesn’t mean you have to have it figured out by the end of freshman year! Give yourself the time to figure out who you are and where you want to be. Trust me, you’ll figure it out in the end.

2. It’s okay not to go out every weekend.

It’s okay if you miss a party. It’s okay if you miss multiple parties. You have four years to fit in all the crazy things you want to do, so if you need a weekend off, give yourself a weekend off! Everyone needs the weekend nights where they just pig out on junk food and binge-watch movies with friends. Don’t feel like you have an obligation to go out because it’s college and you need to get the “college experience.” There’s so much more to the experience than partying, so don’t feel bad about taking a break on the weekends when you need one.

3. Don’t feel like you have to join everything.

No, you do not have to join as many clubs as you can. In fact, don’t. Find the one or two that you love and stick with those! If you try to join everything, you won’t be able to commit the amount of time to the ones that really matter. Don’t take on more than you can handle. You seriously don’t have to try and do everything! You’ll have time to try new things over the next four years, so don’t feel like you just have to shove it all in one. Spend your time with the organizations that really mean something to you because then you’ll have the time to get more involved with them.

4. If you don’t like your living situation, don’t stress! It’ll get better.

Not a lot of people actually become best friends with their freshman year roommate. And that’s okay! By the end of the year, you’ll have found the group you want to room with the next year and it’ll be so much nicer. So if you dislike your living situation this year, it’s okay because next year your room will feel so much more like home.

5. Don’t worry if you haven’t gotten involved with things on campus yet.

If you haven’t joined any organizations on campus yet, it’s okay because you still have so much time. Some people just need time to adjust their freshman year, and when you come back sophomore year you’ll be ready to get more involved. You’ll also have a better idea about what you want to be involved in next year or even next semester. And if you have an organization that you want to get involved in now, email them or go to one of their meetings! It’s never too late to start doing things on campus, but don’t feel like you have to rush into anything.

6. It’s perfectly okay to switch majors.

You may start college believing you want to major in History, but then discover you really love Chemistry. That’s not a bad thing! Don’t set yourself in your major freshman year because it might not be what you really want to do. Keep an open mind, and if you’re really not happy with some of your major classes, you have plenty of time to find out what you actually want to study. And it’s okay if you don’t know by the end of freshman year! Give yourself time to figure it out and don’t force yourself to stick with a major you don’t actually want to be in.

7. Don’t feel like you have to find your best friends right away.

It takes time to make connections with people. Don’t feel like you have to find your BFFs for life right away. You’ll make lasting connections with people if you keep yourself open to meeting new people. It’s okay if you don’t stick with the friends you met over Welcome Week. You’ll find your niche, and when you do, you’ll be happy that you gave yourself the time to find the people you really connect with.

8. Don’t worry if you struggle in certain classes.

Everyone struggles in some classes. It doesn’t mean you aren’t ready for college. You’ll learn time management skills over the next four years and you’ll also learn that getting a bad grade isn’t the end of the world. College isn’t just about the textbook knowledge you gain, it’s also about the other skills you’ll get as you continue through your college career. So don’t stress! Not every class is going to make sense to you.

9. Don’t worry if you don’t feel at home just yet.

It takes some people a while to really feel at home at college. Sometimes it’s hard to find your place your first year and you may feel really homesick. That’s completely normal and it’s nothing to freak out about. There’s nothing wrong with you if you’re unhappy about being here. A lot of people feel that way their freshman year. But as hard as it is for you to believe right now, your next three years are going to be so much better. When you come back for sophomore year, you’ll start to feel more at home and you’ll figure out more about yourself. So breathe and give yourself some time. It’ll get better.

FIrst I drink the coffee, then I do the things.